In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40 YARD SHOTS

buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
Want to get your opinion and I know it will vary from hunter to hunter. I hear a lot of talk 40 yards id too far shoudent do it. It's my opinion with todays new bows light arrows that there is no reason "IF you practice" that you can not comfortably take a deer at 40 yards. mind yourself this dies not mean through brush in high winds ect we need to use our judgement. [:)]

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I can't do it. But, I don't practice that much. The best bowhunters I know will take 40 yard shots effectively. If I was going to shoot that far, it would only be a broadside shot.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    40 yards? Sure but, the farther away the deer the more perfect I want the situation/opportunity, i.e. broadside, not moving, relaxed, maybe preoccupied with browsing or looking away at something, etc.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't take it.

If I got a brand new bow, better arrows, nicer release, practiced throughout the summer constantly, felt comfortable at 40 yard shots, and had a super hunter cape then I do it, heck even without the cape I'd do it. [;)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After this past weekend, I think you all know my feeling on this subject. No shots for me outside of 25 yards. I am now of the feeling that it is not just the shooter's ability to place the arrow, but the distance that allows the deer to duck the arrow. I did some quick calculations in Excel (I am an engineer), and it is surprising how fast a deer can drop to duck an arrow. I wish there were a way to post the sheet, because by adjusting distance and arrow speed, it will calculate the distance the deer can drop. It is quite surprising. Here are some quick numbers from the sheet at 40 yards:

Arrow speed Drop distance
    200 fps 46.8"
    250 fps 26.8"
    300 fps 16.5"
    350 fps 10.7"

Now, this assumes the deer reacts instantly, and that the arrow doesn't slow down. I figure the error associated with these assumptions should fairly well offset each other, so the calculation should be close to correct.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well,some good answers there are guys that will and some that wont. The last one I shot was 36 yards had no idea what hit him. he only went 5o yards and dropped. It was broadside shot slightly quatering away before that I shot one at 44 yards broadside shot. I agree the furthr the shot the more room for error, but if your bow is sighted properly and tuned I don't think 40 yards is that far anymore.I look at it like this. 4 months of hunting per year[:(] hours upon hours in the tree[B)] a nice buck appears [:p]at 40 -42 yards[:0] and I diddent practice that far so I have to let him walk.[:(!] NO WAY THAT SUCKER IS GOIN DOWN.[;)]
  • Options
    MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I practice at 40, which I do, my max shooting distance is 30 in the forrest. Buck fever, less than perfect weather, terrain, light condition and most important f*cking Murphy's law makes sure that you need the extra 10 yards.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Islander. It is a myth that deer duck arrows. When they drop like they do they are preparing to sprint. Like a runner in a race that is there "ready go" position. If your bow is a little noisy when they hear the noise is when they begin to drop. Start aiming a little low and your shot will come out with nice placement. Learned that on the outdoor channel. It works. [;)]
    As for the 40 yrds. I not in the woods maybe open field and like others said with the right conditions. Maybe.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A-- yea -ok Martes we got the FU##ing point. [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry got caried away[:I], no actually my computer screwed up
  • Options
    Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bang, I'm aware that they don't duck on purpose, it is just their way of starting the run, but it is a good way to describe it. My whole point in that matter is that shot placement may not always depend on the shooters ability, but also the reaction of the animal. If the deer hears the shot, there is more than enough time for them to get out of the way before the arrow gets there regardless of the shooters ability to deliver the arrow to the point aimed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Islander, this could be why we are addicted to bow hunting, we love the challanges it presents. I know I am addicted anyway I'm going to work late tomorrow so I can go to the woods for a few hours. If I ever get divorced it will be due to hunting![:D] BTW I hope you get another chance at your buck.

• Options
    edited November -1
    The shooting of the deer antlers has nothing to do with shooting 40 yards, whats up with taking over on my topic.[B)] I'm going to have to resort to the old Buckey boy and start some snot about the block target.[:D][:D] Hey gog ya wana go at it again these guys go me pumped?[:D][:D][:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry buckey[:I]!!

• Options
    edited November -1
    40 yard shots suck, Jack shots are much better

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    40 yard shots suck, Jack shots are much better

Yep, make sure to get a couple of shot's of 'arrow-straight' before attempting the 40 yard shot.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey, Sus I tried to reply I think it was to racy for the forum it got booted.[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    talk like that makes the world turn. [;)]

here's a question, are the oak trees holding their leaves longer this year for some reason? Sure seems to me like they should be off around our area and they aren't. we've had high winds and plenty of rain so they must be glued on. [:)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Yea, I think all the rain is letting them hang a little longer.
  • Options
    riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can do it but just make sure you practice it and that ALL conditions are right - that is a living thing that you are about to punch a hole in so get it right
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I Know that. and I have a great amount of respect for the animal. Both animals I shot at that distance diddent go 50 yards before expiring . I would perfer a 40 yarder than a deer under my tree. I find that shot to be very tricky even with practice. I practice at 40 43 yards quite a bit. I dont think hunters that dont practice the shot should be taking it what I'm saying is with todays equipment it can become as common a shot as is the 20-30 yarder. it's a personal choice according to your shooting abilities.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

I Know that. and I have a great amount of respect for the animal. Both animals I shot at that distance diddent go 50 yards before expiring . I would perfer a 40 yarder than a deer under my tree. I find that shot to be very tricky even with practice. I practice at 40 43 yards quite a bit. I dont think hunters that dont practice the shot should be taking it what I'm saying is with todays equipment it can become as common a shot as is the 20-30 yarder. it's a personal choice according to your shooting abilities.[:)]

I have more respect for them if they're on my plate or on my walls.
    [:0] did I just say that?[:I]

Jay (who's dream is to meet a PETA activist in the woods)

• Options
    edited November -1
    Yep, Had a big feed at work the other day, We had moose ,deer and antilope with a big salad baked potatos italian bread olives ect. it was yummy[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wish I worked with you, man, we're lucky to get hot dogs and hamburgs on the grill and a keg of beer once a year. [;)]

• Options
    mansonmanson Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my pins sighted in at 15 25 and 35 yards. but I can hit the target in the kill zone at 40 45 yards. hell I hit the deer target at 60 yards just not in the kill zone.
    -michael
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yea "Manson" Ya did a pretty good job on the tate family too.[:D][}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Yea "Manson" Ya did a pretty good job on the tate family too.[:D][}:)]

[:0] I'm scared now.

• Options
    hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I practice I shoot at a 40 yrd target, this in my opinion makes an archer more ready for a longer shot. Anyway two weeks ago I drew down on a medium size doe, quartering away, and according to the rangefinder was 47 yrds out. The aim and shot were true and she ran about 60+- yrds and went down. I love telling this story, that is the longest shot I have ever taken with a bow at a live animal. Real confidence booster!
    Good luck to all this season!

"The only thing you do better than me is drive that Diamante, and that's just because I've never been in it!"--Little John

Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
  • Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only deer I've got this year so far was a doe out at 45 yds, broadside. Got it in the liver. Went 20 yds and down. Some great stories here. I'm completely with Buckeye boy on this one. You sit out there for days, burning your vacation and most of your weekends, hours and hours. You've got to be ready to take the 40 yd shot IMO if the opportunity presents itself. The closest that deer got to me was 36 yds but I couldn't shoot. Then it started quartering away. By the time I could shoot, it was at 45. Maybe you guys hunt better places than I do but I don't know how many chances I'm gonna get a season. No question I'd take the shot again. Great confidence booster. But it is personal preference. If you're not comfortable with it, you owe it to the animal not to take it.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can hit a pie plate at 40 yards--under perfect conditions--indoor range. I practice it but not often enough.
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    My two bow hunting buddies will take these shots. Each has shot and killed at 55 yards. But this year my one buddy shot and hit at 55 same stand as last year. Deer went down, he left it to bleed out. Came back and it was gone. Two days later he took me and I tracked for him. I found the bone pile and P&Y rack about 75 yards from where he took the shot. Coyotes, cats, or wolves got to it. It was a waste. Nice deer too.

I think it "depends". I watched two 5x5 and a 6x6 graze 50 and 60 yards from my stand last year for 20 minutes. I did not take the shot. Why? Because I am a hunter and no matter how big that rack is I will not shoot outside of my proven range. I did not have a 50 yard pin and guessing to try and get that trophy rack is not worth it to me.

My 2 cents.

Quote: It is easy to take liberty for granted when you have never had it taken from you.
    Author: M. Grundler
  • Options
    mpfennigmpfennig Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm shooting Muzzy 100's and here's how I take 50 yds shots:
    I REMOVE THE BLADES. The bone crushing tip can still devastate
    bone. This year, I took a 15-pt buck at 52 yds in this manner.
    You MUST be confident to shoot at this distance and it takes PRACTICE and lots of it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am rather surprised at the number of people I hear are shooting 40 yards +
    I have trouble shooting a pistol over 40 yards, but I suck with a pistol, guess maybe I suck with a bow to. [:0] man I got myself all depressed now. [:(][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Boy OH Boy[:(] after this last hunt in illinois I think I better start practicing 60 yard shots.[:0] Na 40 -45 is as far as I will shoot at a live animal if the conditions are right. I don't like to shoot that far but sometimes you have too.[;)]
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    I really don't think an arrow with broadhead would pass through a rib bone at 40 yds. if it would hit that rib near the center.I figure it has only about a 40% chance of making it into the vital organs where it would kill the deer.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The thing I like about bowhunting is that it challenges you to get near to the prey, but if we start taking longer and longer shots we'll lose that and then we can just aswell switch to rifles, I can hit a deer at 700 yards with a 6.5x55, yeee-bloody-haaaa[xx(]. It's a snot-lot harder to get near to a deer or wait perfectly still for one than it is to take a long shot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Martes
    It's a snot-lot harder

Martes, you always seem to have the right words for the situation don't you...[:D][;)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to our dear friend Mr.Censur a short version of faeces is translated to snot; the day my snot stinks like faeces I'll try to shoot myself in the head with my bow!![xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess it dependes where your hunting and how long you have to hunt.where I live you need to able to take those shots or you will starve. I hear what your saying about skills I do pefer to get as close as possible but dosent always work out. let me play devils advocate throw away the bloody compound bows and get close enough to kill with a spear.[}:)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Spears are for sissys, one shall hunt with spoons!!![:D][:D][:p][:p][xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1