In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

has this happened to anyone but me

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
well bow season ended sunday, on friday i found a hot new place by a bunch of brush that i forgot about but anyways its all torn up with sign so i hang a stand there. well i get my stand up and im climing down to hook my bow and gear up to bring up with me a hear some walking and then a couple of grunts. look over my shouldder and theres a buck walking toward me. i cant see horns but i see a huge body with a short fat neck and then theres me hanging half way up my tree as this deer is walking near by. then i hear the dreaded snort hoof stomp and hes on his way out of there, leaving me feeling like a idiot in my tree and to top it off i offered during bow season.

My old man's backhand used to land,
Hard on the side of my head.
I just learned to stay out of his way.
There's been streetfights, blue lights,
Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
It just showed me how much I could take.
Hard times, bad luck.
Sometimes, life sucks.
That's all right, I'm ok.
It ain't nothin' but another day.

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Head, Just last week in illinois I was leaving a stand to go to another, I had just lowered my bow started to gather range finder binoculars ect when here comes a buck across the feild stright for my stand wasan't a shooter on second look but you never see a bow get back in the stand that fast in your life.[:p]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    ***BUSTED***
    I try not to let that happen. I move to my stand slowly, keeping a close eye the entire way, moving just a little faster than 'still hunting'. Then, at my tree, I climb as quietly as possible, taking another quick look halfway up the tree.

One very foggy, extremely dark morning I was walking to my stand through an overgrown foodplot, when suddenly I got a whiff of the most unpleasant smell. I knew immediately that it was buck urine, what I didn't realize is that I was about 10 feet from the buck, which was bedded down in thick brush. He jumped up. I couldn't see him, but he definitely knew something was wrong with me. He jumped up and snorted, and then about a half a million other deer jumped up and snorted all around me. I walked into the whitetail motel, and they didn't even know it until I was right on top of them. I'm glad they could see me, because I never saw a one of them. However, it didn't change the fact that I was 60 yards from my treestand and BUSTED!!!

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Never got busted climbing in or out, but I stumble around in the dark and hear snorts and stomps all the time. I get busted at least once out of every 4 times in the woods, I learned to live with it. They usually come back in after a little while.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Hey Ben tell the truth then you went home and changed your shorts.[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Hey Ben tell the truth then you went home and changed your shorts.[:D][:D][:D][:D]

I was 13 in the middle of Shawnee Nat'l by myself. Yeah buckey after I crapped myself, I cried for my mommy.[:p][:)]

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No matter how difficult it is at times, when I am in the woods, I try to be of the mindset that there is a deer 30 yards away.
    And sure, I have been busted many times. My favorite was when I was standing in a hole, decided that there wasnt a deer within miles of me, hopped out of my hole, and saw a buck not twenty yards away. Did I scan the area before I got up?? Nope. If I took a little look around before exiting, I would have seen that deer.
    2 years ago I was bow hunting, decided to sit down and have a cup of coffee, at a scenic spot. Grabbed my thermos out of my bag, and noticed a grunt tube. I took the tube out, and grunted for laughs-sure as snot, something grunts back, sounded like a hog- something comes running, twenty yards away, a buck. My bow was about ten yards away from me. What could I do? I looked at the deer until he took off, and then poured myself a cup of coffee.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that buck is still laughing