In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WIND!

ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
Forgive me if you all have touched on this before. I have heard so many times that high winds will keep deer lying low. I know Bang has told me that he has read about studies on this and illinois ranks at 20-30 MPH and they will still move. Well went today to make some repairs on my blind.(20-30 MPH winds with 40 gusts) Well about 3:30
saw movement and there was a buck and three does coming in to the corn to feed. They messed around until dark and never got closer than 80 yards or so to present a shot.[:(] So please give me some help, opinions, or some bulls@#% on the subject.

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..

Comments

• Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    iVE KEPT TRACK THIS YEAR AND WHEN ITS WINDY LIKE A MAJOR WIND OVER 10 MILES PER HOUR IVE SEEN NO DEER

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    toocarztoocarz Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something more than opinion. In 2001, my budy did not want to go bow hunting with me on a very windy day (in IL)...but did because I was going out. He arrowed a wall hanger...I saw nada. Yesterday (Sunday), it was again very windy in IL...I was muzzleloader hunting andI bagged a deer. They were in an open field with the wind blowing before they meandered into the woods. In both cases it was counter intuitive to hunt in the wind, but things seemed to work out.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I am starting to think that where they are may play a role. Like in an open field the wind may not play as much because they can use there sight more. But in the woods where the trees are moving and it is much louder I think that kind of hinders two of their senses and in turn keeps them bedded down a little more. These of course are just my thoughts and really don't mean anything.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    el maestroel maestro Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was very windy here in Indiana on Sunday, I thought that it might affect hunting. But, I went anyway and I am glad. I took a nice doe. I did see some does in a field, but most of the action was in a wooded area that is kind of low.

This isn't the only time I have been out in the wind, last year I took a nice 10 pt, 200lbs, buck on a windy/rainy day. Personally, I think deer move whenever. Reports of seeing them in the rain or other nasty weather are just fewer; because only a few nut jobs, like me, are out there!
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome aboard el maestro, hope ya stick around. Only thing i've ever noticed with high winds is it can affect the flight of an arrow if you're shooting more than 15 yds. Other than that i've had good success during windy days.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    High winds burn my face and make me look funnier than I already do. But I don't feel they effect deer much. I very much dislike hunting in the rain though, just me though.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Don't know fer sure about the Deer not moving much in the High Winds,but I do know I'm not moving much in the High Winds cause I'm staying inside and watching a VCR Deer tape.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.