In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need suggestions

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
I need suggestions on what to buy my parents for Christmas. I am at a loss this year. I've been thinking about a civil war dvd collection for my dad, it's $120. No clue about my mom though. You guys have any wonderful ideas? My dad is in his early 60's, mom is late 50's so keep that in mind. [;)] booze and rap music aren't their kinda thing. [:D]

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Buy'em a nice DODGE! Ok just kidding. What to they like to do? any hobbies? Do they do stuff together? Collect anything? Give me a little insight I will try to come up with something for you.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Their both pretty old fashion. They do go on weekend trips a lot so I considered buying them a hotel discount card or maybe just a mastercard gift card so they can buy whatever they want.
    My mom collects some kind of old dolls and dad collects really old Winchesters, both of which are way outa my price range for Christmas.
    My mom actually wanted a Dodge 3/4 ton with a cummins a few years back, but dad said no no and they got a new Chevy instead. [^]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A cane, some geritol, reading glasses, ben gay, hearing aids, nose hair trimmer. Ok I was just kidding. Didn't they give you a list? If not do yourself a favor and ask them what they want it makes shopping a whole lot easier, especially if you hate to shop as much as I do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I do hate to shop, if I ask what they want I always get the same answer. "Oh, we don't need anything, just keep your money and buy something for you guys" I swore last year if I heard that again I'd go buy myself a gun then take it and show them and tell them thanks for not making me buy them anything. [:D] rude huh [;)]
    Now that I think about it maybe I should ask. I saw one of those big bore .44 Henry's the other day I wouldn't mind having. [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are a couple of ideas. 1. you buy them a new bow and when they say "what am I going to do with this" you say "what you don't like it fine I will just take it back and keep it for myself."
    Or 2. You do the "I need a list" and when they tell you not to buy anything you tell them you are going to cancel christmas and anything they have already bought for you they can just take it down to FED EX and ship it to bangs place[:D].
    What do ya think?

Does your mom like to go to a hair salon to get her hair done. Maybe you could get her a full work over at a salon hair, nails, massage. Some women like that kinda stuff.

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by gogolen
    ben gay

I never knew that[:D] . I do agree with bang on the gift for your mom, unless you want it to be more personal than a gift certificate. Otherwise do as gogo said and ask for a couple ideas for both of them, then pick one out.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Parents are always hard ones to buy for. I have given up on the present idea because if they want it they just buy it and I dang sure cant afford the things they can. Take them out for a REALLY NICE dinner. Talk to them about fun things that they did with you in the past. They will enjoy the time you spend with them more then anything you could ever buy for them. The dinner is a bonus and you all get to enjoy that part. Then get them a small token gift. Give them time and they will really appreciate it. It is harder to make plans and give up time then to go to a store and spend $200.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    not gay and not for sale. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bang, I like your ideas, possibly we can combine them and both of us get something outa this. [;)]
    I don't believe they have any salon's near them that offer all that stuff. I could find out where she has her hair cut and go that route though. Thanks

taco, that's a question for Ben and I'm staying out of it. [B)]
    gagirl, dinner has been lurking in my mind to, might go with that.

thanks ya'll

• Options
    BigEdBigEd Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get them a nice selection of Certified Angus Beef steaks....cost at my place is $2/lb....cost at your local retailer...about $12/lb. OR, does wine count as booze? I asked my rich brother in law for a case of white zinfendel last Christmas and we just finised off the last bottle in Nov...the gift that lasted the whole year through....also goes great with Certified Angus Beef!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry Ben it was to good to pass up.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    Sorry Ben it was to good to pass up.

That's okay, sweetheart.[:D]

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BigEd, they always have beef butchered and it's angus so that's out. They not the wine type either. My brother and I drink for our entire family, we feel we do a fair job at it to. [;)] thanks for the suggestions.

Ben & Taco I am really scared now [:0]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Be afraid Susp, very afraid[:D] BTW when ya coming to Illinois, Ben and I want to throw you a party[}:)][;)].. Maybe we can get bang and enos to play their banjos fer us to.

• Options
    edited November -1
    [:0][:0][:0]
    Bang and Enos have banjo's? Throw me a party? Boy's I'm loading my single shot rifle and putting the one eyed dog by the door then I'm staying right here in Ohio. [^]
    [:D][;)]

• Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who told Taco we had banjos anyway[?][;)]

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm going right now to start practicin' wit my banjo. puttin on the bibs & straw hat..... squeal like a pig boy!! WWOOOOHHOOOO!
    Susp you reckon your one eyed dog and my dog with no ears could have pups together?
    One more question....can you grab your ankles without bending your knees??[?][:p][:0] Let me know when the party is.

• Options
    daweimerdaweimer Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey sus youi could do like bang suggested and buy them a dodge, I am sure if your dad is retired he needs something to work on![:D][B)]. I really like the civil war dvd idea, maybe you could get mom a gift cert to get a massage then one to the salon to get her nair & nails done and to top it off with dinner for the two of them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:p][:D][:D]

In all seriousness, I have a really cool civil war book. Check this out.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0811833607/qid=1103123782/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-2862548-1516918

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bang, you got me scared (bad word) less right now! I believe my dog should stay away from your deaf dog. Might be for the best [:D]

daweimer & ben, thanks I'm gonna combine both those ideas and be done with it. I might buy two of them books ben, I'd like to have that to. [:)]