In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

are deer smart or stupid

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
Ive asked my self this question many times and i cant prove it either way. take saturday as an example. I was planning on walking around my property gun hunting. My neighbors put on a drive that morning so i figured stand hunting would be pointless. So i walk down this brushy drainage dtich and 4 deer jump out in front of me at 40 yards But i cant shoot or ill hit a house i miss. so if these deer run acrossed the filed i can shoot but what do they do run right at the house for 200 yards then veer into the field, offering no shot. so i continue walking and see nothing the rest of my walk. i then go behind my house i jump 2 does right away. after a short run up a hill to catch them i do. there both standing in the woods. but they look kind of small so i wanted to get closer. well i got real close bow range to be specific. they just stood there and let me get close to them. i was wearing all orange and i looked like a pumpkin. the funny thing was i was in a pumpin field and i think they thought i was one. I didnt shoot because i watched these two deer all summer with there mother so i was nice. there mother i didnt see but she is old i have watched her for the last 4 years she is misssing part of her ear

My old man's backhand used to land,
Hard on the side of my head.
I just learned to stay out of his way.
There's been streetfights, blue lights,
Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
It just showed me how much I could take.
Hard times, bad luck.
Sometimes, life sucks.
That's all right, I'm ok.
It ain't nothin' but another day.

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Any older than 2 years are usually very smart. and Any older than 4 are smart and sometimes psychic. Deer under 2 are dumber than goldfish. Just my opinion.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree that young deer are as dumb as a box of rocks, plus very enquisitive(sp?) Not only do I think they get wiser with age I also believe they know when/who is a danger to them. I can be hunting while the farmer I hunt on is driving around his fields and deer will walk right up to him. Think i'm gonna start huntin outta the back of his truck or tractor[:D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    taco you took the words righta outa my mouth. Seems like they have a sixth sense as to when they can be hunted and when they can't.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen 2 spikes from where I hunt between last year and this season. Both times the spike runs around and jumps up and down and acts like hes having a grand old time. Kinda like he knows you won't shoot him....lol
  • Options
    MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deer are smart compared to a lot of other grazers, but nothing like predators. Still they're cunning and are quite plastic in their behaviour, learning complex things to avoid detection by hunters.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Ok hope I don't piss any one off.[B)] Deer are actually one of the dumbist animals. They do not posess the ability to reason. However it is their built in instincts and following other deer that make them appear smart. its all their senses that are great smell, hearing ect. I hear where you are comming from sometimes it almost seems like they have a sixth sense. Think about it deer do some pretty stupid things. like run across highways. Jump through plate glass windows. if they were smart they would not dothese types of things. They would go down to the local sporting goods shop buy a bow and shoot us.[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They must be kinda smart headzilla, I just read your other post and the deer has eluded you this season and they only got 4 more days to go before they win this little game we call hunting. [:I] No offense to you at all, just a little humorous comparison is all.
    I just recently took a doe, other than that I've been skunked a lot this season. I've had a lot less chances this year to. As a matter a fact I'm down right ready to give this hole thing up....naw..just kidding [;)]
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Used to think I was smarter than a Deer,but I now think they are smarter than me.Maybe I need more Instink.(what is instink ?)

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    they have stupped me for one reason, I can get a doe tag for one of two areas, one for behind the house or one for acrossed the river,i chose acrossed the river. why did i do this , because I figured by taking 3 fake classes this fall i would have plenty of time to bow hunt and take a doe behind my house, well they didnt cooperate. All the deer that i have seen on my side of the river are off limits and i swear that they know i cant shoot them legally. O well thats hunting

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    Spearit86Spearit86 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had friends with the same experiences. I know it is not legal to do this for the kill, but I wonder if you could set up a trip wire for when they get away from you, from the usual hunting spot, and a net fall on them and take a big red permanent marker and mark them to know which are the ones that think they are smarter and try harder the next time to show that "we" are the smarter ones.

If you don't need it, find someone who needs it more than you.
  • Options
    Spearit86Spearit86 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had friends with the same experiences. I know it is not legal to do this for the kill, but I wonder if you could set up a trip wire for when they get away from you, from the usual hunting spot, and a net fall on them and take a big red permanent marker and mark them to know which are the ones that think they are smarter. Then try harder the next time to show that "we" are the smarter ones.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spearit86
    I have had friends with the same experiences. I know it is not legal to do this for the kill, but I wonder if you could set up a trip wire for when they get away from you, from the usual hunting spot, and a net fall on them and take a big red permanent marker and mark them to know which are the ones that think they are smarter and try harder the next time to show that "we" are the smarter ones.

Try it and let us know how it works for you.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent