In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Food plot??

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
Since we can no longer feed deer in Illinois except by way of food plots does anyone recommend any seed that will grow well in the woods with minimal light? I was going to buy a hanging feeder with a timer and was informed it was illegal now due to CWD. So upon investigating on the DNR web site the only way we can feed is food plot. I want to keep it in the woods somewhat close to there travel path. Any suggestions or ideas?? Thanks y'all!!

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Locate your food plot in a way to make the deer naturally funnel to it and from it. I normally try to set mine up so I have at least 4 or more locations for stands at various points the deer will naturally travel.
    Around here I plant corn, soy beans, alphafa, clover, and pumkins. You'd be best to talk with local farmers in your area about seed that grows well in your area. Around here alphafa is my grow anywhere seed, it always comes in no matter what. I group my plots to, if not all 5 variations I have at least 4 in each plot.
    Have you seen that infomercial for the roaster that you "Set It AND Forget It" ? Food plots are like that to me, plant it and forget it.[:D] I sew in winter wheat or something cheap to keep nutrients in the ground over the winter plus plow under last years stuff that's still there. Other than that I lime it a lot and use very minimal fertilizer. It isn't much work, sounds like it though. I see improvement in the deer every year so it's worth it. Plus since I do this it makes me own the deer that eat from my plots.[:D] [;)]