In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Game Finders

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
Would like to hear comment's from you Bowhunters about those heat seeking game-finders.I don't want to spend $2oo right now if they aren't very reliable.I have shot a few Deer and never found them; although I felt they were sure to be dead;yet I couldn't find them.

Comments

• Options
    crazyplane21crazyplane21 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    s.gun, Hey man I've never used them. I just rely on a little skill and a whole lot of luck to recover my kill. I've read a book about tracking an injured dear but I can't remember the name of it. It was very helpful in the way it made me think of what the deer is going through and the way it acts after it's had an arrow pass through it's vitales. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    tomertomer Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i agree wit reply above me
    i know ways to track wounded game
    this may take hours
    look for tracks if not in dry climate
    go to nearest bush or pond
    stay there for a hour
    the dear should show if not already dead
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    save your money get a good flashlight and plenty of pateince to give the deer time to lay down
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    This thread is 6 years old.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    This thread is 6 years old.

LOL just noticed that too....
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hopefully he learned how to find them by now lol
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Not sure how good they work.. I can track pretty darn good but. but I have seen deer get in real thick stuff i would imagine if you point it into the brush it could be helpful when there is no blood.. My theory is try to talk to someone who has one .. hey I,m open if it heps ya recover 1 deer its worth it>>>[;)]
  • Options
    Dren BoyDren Boy Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geez, after reading everyone's input I hate to admit that I have one...had one for years but never needed to use it to recover a deer. What a shame considering it was over $200. When I first got it (middle of winter) so it was colder than witch's....you know what. I had two buddies hunting with me (hey bang, one of them was Tater) so I used it to track their locations from my stand. The game finder picked them out like a sore thumb but that was on a very cold day. I've messed around with it some in a cow pasture (early October) to see what it did then but had mixed results. Plus I had forgotten how to use the darn thing so who knows if I was doing it right. I found that an arrow through the vitals pretty much negates the need for any crazy heat sensing gizmo. Anyone want to buy a slightly used game tracking device?

I suppose if I had trouble finding a deer I would break it out as a last resort. Heck, I forgot I even had it until I read this thread.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    great post thats what we are looking for dan.... so all in all gamfinder is a no[;)]
  • Options
    rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have super thick woods and if a deer was on the ground 10 feet from you you would likely not see it, bought one and it works like a charm only cost like 120 from cabelas.
  • Options
    Dren BoyDren Boy Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My pleasure buckey...I don't know much but I'm always glad to help.