In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Paper Tuning

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
I had my BowTech all set and ready. The WB that came with it was black and I had a camo one on my old LX so I changed it to make BowTech look better. Know I am having problems paper tuning it. I am sure that I will get it, but it really pi55ed me off tonight. I got it to hit where I wanted it to, but I had a tial wag. When I put it on the paper, it just seemed like I was chasing my tail. Maybe a fresher mind will help tomorrow. If not it is back to the bow shop. BTW, I was not drinking when I did this. I started after I found out that it was not happening.[:D]

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    How far away from the paper is a good distance when paper tuning a bow? Thanks
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think if you search on AT you will find some people that can't figure out how to paper tune bows with WBs on them.

With that said, it could always be a slight spine issue with your cables or string stretching a little and increasing/decreasing your pulling weight.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I haven't shot the bow enough to have string stretch. I had copied the directions from the Easton site, and I just couldn't get it tonight. I will try again tomorrow. If I can't get it I will go back to the archery shop. My biggest problem with all of it was, the way that the sheet told me to move my knock, with my eye the arrow was pointing at a upward angle. The biggest * of it all is, it was good until I changed the WB.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have the right size hole for the arrows?
    Could be it was just you tonight,gota watch your form with WB rest.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I know several people that say paper tuning don't mean squat.

When I had the WB on it shot threw paper fine but would "kick" down range.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is the down side to the WB rest. They will never paper tune perfect. I just worked on my FIL's bow over the weekend. He had a 5" left tear to start. I got it down to about 1/4" but still noticable. At least now you can't see the arrow fletch whip even at 20 yards. I also worked with my wife's cousin and his new arrows I got him for his b-day. I tuned his TM hunter perfect, and also tweeked my QAD for a shoot on Sunday.

Please don't take this as trash talking the WB. If it you like it, fine. I don't like them so I don't use them.
    edited November -1
    I have a Rip cord now and it is giving me problems down range as the WB did. But I hit what I'm aiming at and have decent groups. I'll tweak on it some more but I may be expecting to much from it.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

I'm one of em I never paper tune and my arrows fly fantastic.. paper tuning is very subject to how far or close you are to the papaer, todays rests have very little effect on arrow flight thei just hold the srrow that should be comming directly off the string I would think knocking point is much more important,,,....

Paul.....
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

I'm one of em I never paper tune and my arrows fly fantastic.. paper tuning is very subject to how far or close you are to the papaer, todays rests have very little effect on arrow flight thei just hold the srrow that should be comming directly off the string I would think knocking point is much more important,,,....

Paul.....

To an extent I agree with you. I paper tune at several distances from 3 to 25 yards and also do a walk back tune as well. Most people do one or the other, but I prefer to do both. Maybe just to ease my mind...
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Form is more touchy with the WB.You got to good form until the arrow leaves the rest.[;)]
    Here what I did with mine at 40 yards.My brother wasn't to happy tho.[:D]

[img][/img]MyPictures.jpgRH.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009

Paul.....

To an extent I agree with you. I paper tune at several distances from 3 to 25 yards and also do a walk back tune as well. Most people do one or the other, but I prefer to do both. Maybe just to ease my mind...

I am one to do both also. Walk back tuning has become very interesting to me, and its very easy to to and see the changes in your arrow flight.
    edited November -1
    I THINK WE SOMETIMES MAKE TINGS MORE COMPLICATED THAN TEY ARE..[:0] I DONT CARE WHAT MY ARROW DOES 5-10 FEET FOM HE REST[;)] THATS WHERE MOST GUYS PAPER TUNE.. THATS WHY I DONT SHOOT ANYTHING BUT BROADHEADS IF IM SMACKIMG ARROWS AT 20- 30 YARDS ISIN'T TAHT WHAT REALLY COUNTS.. IT MAY BE DIFFERENT FOR TARGET SHOOTERS BUT. I PLAYED WITH ALL THAT CRAP YEARS AG AND WHEN ARROWD WERE SENT OFF AREST IT WAS CRITICAL, I DON' SEE THAT ANY MORE THAT'S THE WHOLE CONSEPT OF DROP AWAY O EFFECT ON THE ARROW MERLY A HOLDER. SORRY FOR THE CAP LOCKS BUT I WAS SO FAR IN WASANY GONNA START OVER. iF iM HITTING MY MARK AT 20 30 40 I COULD CARE LESS IF A PEICE OF PAPER ISINT TORN RIGHT. HAVE YOU EVER WATCHED SLO -MO OF AN ARROW BEFORE IT STABILIZES . LOOKA LIKE A PIECE OF SPIGETTI . poop I'M ITILIAN AND I CANT SPELL SPEGETTI[:I][:D]
    edited November -1
    I THINK WE SOMETIMES MAKE TINGS MORE COMPLICATED THAN TEY ARE..[:0] I DONT CARE WHAT MY ARROW DOES 5-10 FEET FOM HE REST[;)] THATS WHERE MOST GUYS PAPER TUNE.. THATS WHY I DONT SHOOT ANYTHING BUT BROADHEADS IF IM SMACKIMG ARROWS AT 20- 30 YARDS ISIN'T TAHT WHAT REALLY COUNTS.. IT MAY BE DIFFERENT FOR TARGET SHOOTERS BUT. I PLAYED WITH ALL THAT CRAP YEARS AGO AND WHEN ARROWS WERE SENT OFF A REST IT WAS CRITICAL, I DON'T SEE THAT ANY MORE[;)] THAT'S THE WHOLE CONSEPT OF DROP AWAY "O" EFFECT ON THE ARROW MERLY A HOLDER. SORRY FOR THE CAP LOCKS BUT I WAS SO FAR IN I WASAN'T GONNA START OVER. iF IM HITTING MY MARK AT 20- 30- 40 I COULD CARE LESS IF A PEICE OF PAPER ISINT TORN RIGHT. HAVE YOU EVER WATCHED SLO -MO OF AN ARROW BEFORE IT STABILIZES . LOOKS LIKE A PIECE OF SPIGETTI . poop I'M ITILIAN AND I CANT SPELL SPEGETTI[:I][:D]
    edited November -1
    Buckey,

Walk back tuning does exactly what you are saying. You start by putting a string with weight on your target with a visible string through your point you will be aiming at. You shoot at 20 yards, then go back to 25, then 30, then 35, 40, ect. You shoot at the same spot and with the same pin no matter what your distance is. You will see your arrows drop off at a angle. You then need to adjust your rest until all your arrows fall on the string thats handing down. I bet your 40 or 45 yards out is at least an 1.5 off.
    edited November -1
    Buckey, please stop yelling, my head hurts. Thank you.[:D]
    edited November -1
    Buckey, please stop yelling, my head hurts. Thank you.[:D]
    sorry mr moderator sir....[:D][:D]