In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cleaning Muzzleloader tip

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know this is an archery page but I thought I'd throw this out and see what you all think. A buddy I work with told me that he cleans his ML with windshield washer fluid! According to him, it's cheep and works great. Plus since it's designed to evaporate to not leave a residue, it's perfect for ML. Okay, what do you think?[;)]

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    How do you get the wiper blades down there?[:D]
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The corrosion caused in muzzleloaders comes from the acid leftover after burning black powder, whether it be Pyrodex, 777, Goex or any of the substitutes. 777 has less acid than the others, but it is still there. It will pit any barrel(even stainless) after a few years regardless of how well you clean it. I sold my Encore last year due to the pits in the barrel and I never let my gun go more than a day after firing it without thoroughly cleaning it. I am using a new product this year that is supposed to totally neutralize the acid. It is called "Butchs Muzzleloader Boreshine" and is the same stuff the military uses to clean weapons with. I hope it works. I bought a new muzzleloader this year. It is a Lyman Mustang hammerless. I hope the Butchs works. If not, I am going to buy the Savage and just use smokeless powder which does not have the corrosive properties. I was told that you can make a paste with baking soda/water (Arm & Hammer) and swab the bore with it to neutralize acid in a muzzleloader. I have not heard about the windshield fluid, but I will definitely look into it. Sorry for the long reply, I have owned 5 muzzleloaders over the years and every one has developed pits after a few years even with extensive cleaning.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just use T/C #13 and bore butter.even my Hawkens from the 80's are still like new.

Never heard of the windwasher being used must be a hoyt thing.[:p]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    How do you get the wiper blades down there?[:D]

ROFLMAO.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Chief Shaway Posted - 07/29/2007 : 11:07:48 AM
    How do you get the wiper blades down there?

I use a really big "macro adjustment tool." Oh wait, since with have people not so smart, ( you know the ones shooting that mat... mat... mat... Darn, Still can't say it) that's a HAMMER![:D]

Oh boy, we got another live one! (WOOO HOOO! ANOTHER NUT IN THE JAR!)
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    I know this is an archery page but I thought I'd throw this out and see what you all think. A buddy I work with told me that he cleans his ML with windshield washer fluid! According to him, it's cheep and works great. Plus since it's designed to evaporate to not leave a residue, it's perfect for ML. Okay, what do you think?[;)]
    Iheard it's good to soak hoyt bows in gasoline then strike a match. works wonders on the cams,,, [:0][:D][:D]
  • Options
    thunderstick82thunderstick82 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Iheard it's good to soak hoyt bows in gasoline then strike a match. works wonders on the cams,,,

Nah, gasoline is way to expensive to waste on a hoyt[}:)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thunderstick82
    quote:Iheard it's good to soak hoyt bows in gasoline then strike a match. works wonders on the cams,,,

Nah, gasoline is way to expensive to waste on a hoyt[}:)][:D]
    LMAO anim_rofl21.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WHAT THE CRAP!!!! I just made TWO serious posts without any smart $%^$ comments! I'll fix that here!

Let's see, gas and a match, that's about the only way your get a HOYT to Bark... You know "WOOF" Otherwise, you'll never hear a peep until that "THWACK" when the arrow hits the deer! You math... math... math... STILL can't say it.. wouldn't understand![:D]

Hey Buckey, is it true about you and FIDO???? EWWWWWW[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    [:o)]
    yea[:D] have another donught.....[;)]
  • Options
    gabowbuckgabowbuck Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We all know Hoyts wont burn well. Cause Pos just kind of smolders really. I have heard coke cleans guns well, I would try that right after the windshield wiper fluid.