In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bow Reconditioning

californiadilloncaliforniadillon Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
I have inheirited a bow that my grandfather used to have. The markings on it are as follows:

Make: Bear Archery Company

Type: Kodiak Special

Serial: 1e149

Length: 63"

Pull Strength: 35 lbs.

The bow looks in good condition. I showed it to a friend when I used to live in Michigan. She and her father used to bow hunt. She said there was a company in Michigan that could recondition the bow to make it hunt worthy again. Is this true? If so, are there any companies in california?

Other: Wording that says glass-powdered

Comments

• Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm about as far from an expert on this as you can get but I haven't heard of "reconditioning" a bow. From your post I assume you have some type of long bow or recurve. (It doen't have any pullies on the ends of the limbs, correct?) Is there something that makes you think that it is not useable at this time? You also might check your local laws. 35 pounds may not be enough to hunt with.

I'd say congrats on the heirloom, but you may be better off finding a different bow to hunt with. (I'd be sick if something happened to it while hunting if I were in your shoes.) Good luck and hope you hang around.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a decently valuable bow if its in good shape. $200-250 or so and they can still be shot with no problems.

When you say reconditioned, if the bow is in one piece and has been kept in a good dry place, the limbs aren't cracked, then all you should need is a new string and a stringer.