In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recommendations for Arrows

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, I'll admitt, one area that I don't know much about is arrows. As I mentioned in another post, I'm going to Bass Pro tomorrow and one thing I'm looking for is arrows. I don't shoot anything fancy right now, Carbon Express Terminators. I've seen the adds on TV for the arrows with something like weight front of center design and I know some arrows use HIT inserts. I really don't want to change my set up other than simply adjusting sights if necessar. Oh, if it helps, I shoot the Best bow on the planet, HOYT Razortec at about 65-70 lbs and Vortex 125 grn machanicals.

Bottom line question, should I just go with a standard "cheep" arrow or is there a difference with the more expensive ones?

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think there is a difference in the cheap arrows and expensive ones. For one thing, I don't want an arrow to go into my hand because it blows up when I shoot. Secondly, the weight and spine of a more expensive arrow should be more consistent through the whole shaft. You also have a straightness tolerance, but that doesn't really come into play with hunting arrows, anything + or - .005 is plenty good enough for hunting.

I like my easton axis arrows, you can't destroy them. With the type of knocks they use, you can't robin hood them. They do use the HIT insert system, its ok, just have to read the direction when installing. (thats not from experience or anything) [B)]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is coming from a rookie....

I went out and bought carbon arrows as my first set ever. They were recommended by everyone I had talked to. I have 5(lost one) Vital Impact Carbon arrows. They measure +/- .003". I've compared them to Aluminum arrows and you can easily see the difference. The carbons bow, where as the Aluminums bend and crease.

I'll be stepping up to Carbon Express arrows before the season starts.

I shot my privacy fence at 60yds and stuck a Vital Impact Carbon arrow ten inches through the fence. Pulled it back out and am still shooting it.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gold Tip XT Hunters 5575 would fit the bill nicely. That is what I hunt with. Some things to keep in mind... The weight forward is for those who shoot a very light bh. At 125gr you have plenty of weight in the tip, and no need to spend the $$ to get it. HIT is a down point for me as well. If you manage to hit the end of the shaft on something it shatters, where if you have an aluminum insert at the end of the shaft it takes most of the abuse. Gold Tip also sell for a whole lot less than CX or Easton. Last doz GT XT's I bought was $74 and that was custom fletched! If you are interested in ordering arrows from this dealer shoot him an e-mail at superiorarrow@centurytel.net . His name is Cary and he will set you up right. He does also sell Easton if you want to go that route.
  • Options
    headboyheadboy Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easton FMJ!!!!! Man, these are as tough as they come. I have four that I have shot at least 300+ times. Still shooting them! There are two I no longet shoot. One is in the timber being eaten by ticks (even the FMJ won't stop our ticks) and the other hit a brick and then the house. It probably would have made it through one but not both in the same flight. At least I can say I hit the broad side of the barn (house). Seriously, they are something. Pick up three (expensive) and see if you like them.
    Good luck!![:)]
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beeman ICS 340..gold tip xt hunters