In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NEED HELP FOR MY LITTLE GRAND SON

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
I have a 6 year old grand son that is crazy about bows. I bought him a 18 pound cheap compound for $30.00. It warped bad after a while. Yesterday I bought him a Bear take down with a max of 22 pounds. I don't like it because it seems almost as cheaply made as the first one. My question is what bow should I buy him? He is large for his age but I don't think he can handle a 30 pound bow. The Bear cost $50.00 and I can still return it. I know nothing about bows except I don't want to pay $300.00 for a child's bow. HELP!

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    I have a 6 year old grand son that is crazy about bows. I bought him a 18 pound cheap compound for $30.00. It warped bad after a while. Yesterday I bought him a Bear take down with a max of 22 pounds. I don't like it because it seems almost as cheaply made as the first one. My question is what bow should I buy him? He is large for his age but I don't think he can handle a 30 pound bow. The Bear cost $50.00 and I can still return it. I know nothing about bows except I don't want to pay $300.00 for a child's bow. HELP!
    If hes pretty serious I suggest you take him to a bow shop let them know what your budget is. they will be be able to help you more than we can .... Its nice he wants to shoot but if a bow is not set up correctly he may get discouraged quickly... [;)]
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is very serious. How about Cabelas? How does a person determine the draw lenth?
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    He is very serious. How about Cabelas? How does a person determine the draw lenth?
    He will need to draw a bow and they have arrows with let's say a ruler measurements on them. when he comes to full draw they will see how many inches fits him this will determain his specific dwaw lenth.[;)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    http://www.obsessionarchery.com/genesis-kit-p-645.html

Another option, although I've seen them cheaper than listed here.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not a Genesis bow? They seem to be excellent quality for a kids bow starting out. Draw length adjust something like 10 inches and the draw weight adjust also. They cost about $150.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for the information.
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Rosie...have you thought about a plain ol' recurve bow for him? They can be had in youth sizes fairly inexpensively. That's what I started on, and still enjoy shooting recurve to this day. Can't beat them for shooting at paper!
  • headboyheadboy Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi friend, Just bought my 8 yr. old grandson a Hoyt Trykon Jr, A "REAL" bow for a kid! Paid 299.00 for bow alone but will sell it on ebay for about that much when he moves on to the next one. Good (and bad) youth bows sell good. To be real honest, I get as much fun out of helping and watching him shoot as I do shooting myself so, why not have a good one.
  • headboyheadboy Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a Hoyt Trykon Jr. on Ebay right now!!