In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I need an STS

Dren BoyDren Boy Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
Where's a good place to buy an STS?

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dren Boy
    Where's a good place to buy an STS?
    why do you need an sts with the dren it's got them built in the bow??[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For whatever reason I'm not able to turn my elbow out like I should which puts the string danger close to my wrist....more so than any other bow I've owned previously. If I focus on my form each shot it's not a problem, however the more I drink the less focus I seem to have[:D]. I finally snapped myself once...only once though but I can feel that the string is close to my wrist on most shots (closer than bows I've owned in the past).

I've not been able to turn my elbow while I've owned previous bows but this is the only one I've ever had clearance trouble with. Seriously, the Dren can pull that much longer than others? I've had to have 30" bows "let out" all my life just so I could shoot them.

My buddy just bought a 29" Dren...maybe I'll shoot his a few times to see what that feels like.

Any input you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't drink and shoot[:D] Seriously tho, if you keep doing as Sam told you with the elbow it will become second nature after awhile.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should have bought a Hoyt! They don't slap your elbow...[:D]

Ok... Enough trash talking. If you turn your hand out more your elbow has to follow. Try to grip the bow with just the fleshy part of your thumb on the back of the grip, and keep your wrist low. This will start your elbow out better. Your knuckles will end up at a 45 deg angle. It takes some getting used to, but it really improved my shooting!
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    cabelas has them or you can buy direct

http://www.stsarchery.com/store.html
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.meanvarchery.com
    He can make them match your camo pattern.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input....I think I'll try what dcso mentioned first. I REALLY don't want to add any weight to the bow so I'll do the STS as a last ditch effort.

Taco, I'll keep trying bro but for whatever reason my arm just doesn't want to turn that way. I don't give up easily so you can bet that I'll stay at it.

If I decide to go the STS route I think standard black will be fine...I usually hide things by going high in my tree (that's going high...not getting)[:D].

Bang: Thanks for the link.

I'll shoot some more and see which way I decide to go.

Thanks again everyone.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Dcso mentioned is the way to go. A form issue can't be corrected by a device and I don't believe that was the idea of the STS in the first place. It has unfortunately become something that it wasn't intended for.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input....I think I'll try what dcso mentioned first.

Did you all see that? He is going to get a Hoyt!!![:D]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    What Dcso mentioned is the way to go. A form issue can't be corrected by a device and I don't believe that was the idea of the STS in the first place. It has unfortunately become something that it wasn't intended for.

I hope it works for him. Ive seen him shoot and his arm just flat out doesn't rotate like ours does. Maybe its from all the years of bein' a cheese head. [:D] Not real sure how that relates but....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cheese head or not...I doubt that it prevents me from turning my arm out. I think it's my beer bicepts...too many 12 ouncers.

Bang was there and my arm actually doesn't work that way but I'll try to correct it regardless. I'll pick up an STS just in case.

Thanks again
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cheese head or not...I doubt that it prevents me from turning my arm out. I think it's my beer bicepts...too many 12 ouncers.

Bang was there and my arm actually doesn't work that way but I'll try to correct it regardless. I'll pick up an STS just in case.

Thanks again

I can just break your arm and bend it if you want. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That would probably do the trick. Thanks shoff

Seriously, I'm stumped....I have no idea why my arm won't turn out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Drenboy
    Here is a picture that may help on how I said to put the bow grip on the fleshy part of your thumb. This is Jesse Broadwater in a shoot off last year at Vegas. Talk about relaxed in a high pressure shoot off!
    Form.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks dcso. Admittedly, I was having trouble trying to figure out how to hold the bow from what you wrote on your last post. I had the bow out recently trying to figure out what to do.

This pic makes total sense. Thanks again...I'll be giving this a try when I shoot next. Work is sending me to GA all next week and perhaps the week after and I'll work two jobs each day until then so it will be some time before you hear back from me. As soon as I get back and get settled I'll give this a shot (literally).

I really appreciate your help here.

p.s. An STS is on the way to my house just in case.

bang: I'll see you when I get back. Let's get together and fling some.