In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

practice/hunting broadheads

kindofsuddenkindofsudden Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
I am tired of getting great with my practice tips and then shooting badly with my broadheads because they fly differently. I would like to find a system for practice/hunting broadheads that will allow me the least amount of disparity between the practice heads and the hunting heads. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The key is to practice and know how your broadheads will fly. Facts are that most broadheads will fly differently bacause of the blades. If you don't like that fact, one idea would be to simply practice with your broadheads (not using field points) and change blades before hunting. One question I have is what broadheads are you using? Switching to a mechanical can help with the problem you have. Otherwise, this is the life of a bowhunter![;)] Also, (really not trying to downplay your knowledge) are you using the same weight fieldpoints and broadheads? ie both 125 grain?
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also a bow in perfect tune will shoot the BH's better than one out of tune. I have had tremendous results shooting dropaway rests. Both my old bow and the new one had them and they both shot BH's perfect with no adjustment. Arrows also make a difference... Shoot a shaft with plenty of spine. For some reason BH's seem to take just a little more spine than FT's do. Also I shoot a 4" feather 3 fletched. Feathers give the best control when shooting BH's, but are slightly slower at extended ranges.

This is what works for me anyway... Keep in mind this is from my expierences, and your results could be different.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have tried heavy broadheads and light, from 100 grains up. I have tried aluminum arrows and carbon. I have not tried the mechanical broadheads yet. Can anyone fill me in on those? Are the blades removable for practice or something?
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kindofsudden
    I have tried heavy broadheads and light, from 100 grains up. I have tried aluminum arrows and carbon. I have not tried the mechanical broadheads yet. Can anyone fill me in on those? Are the blades removable for practice or something?
    Let me ask you a question when you shoot broadheads do they group together?
    what Broadheads are you shooting?
    What bow and how mant lbs is it set at?
    what arrows? wt ect brand.
    You should be able toat least be close expandibles will only mask a hidden problem . Not that wont work... I tried slick trickBroadheads last week on beeman ICS hunter not even close to field tip accuracy
    I screwd the slicktricks on my carbon express 60/75 arrows and they are shooing fantastic could be arrow spine tail whip. give us somemore details and we most likly can solve your problemo.. OH yea "welcome to the Jungle ... We have fun and games"
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Expandables have blades that fold in while in flight to have less area to be affected by air. On impact, the blades fold out creating a larger cutting diameter than while in flight. These are great for animals up to whitetail deer but animals larger than that, expandables may not be the best choice. The blades on some brands are weaker than blades on a fixed blade. Also, you must have a pretty strong bow and setup for expandables. Expandables need a lot of energy because of the larger cutting diameter. Good luck!
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just get another sight use one for BH other for feild tips.[:D]
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    Just get another sight use one for BH other for feild tips.[:D]

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Answers below:

Let me ask you a question when you shoot broadheads do they group together?
    - They do, the problem I have is when I pattern well with field tips and then shoot the broadheads. I often miss the target completely and end up buying more broadheads because of it. I eventually get them to pattern but it take SO long I feel like I need a better system.

what Broadheads are you shooting?
    - I have tried everything from 150gr 5-blade Razorbacks to 100gr Muzzys, Sonics, and heavier Muzzys as well. I have tried fixed blade and rotating blade.

What bow and how mant lbs is it set at?
    - Bow is a Browning Nitro II set at about 60lbs. It is tuned up and groups well.

what arrows? wt ect brand.
    - I started with medium heavy Easton aluminums and went to lighter aluminums, swapping broadhead weights the whole time. I moved on to Carbon Express carbon arrows and eliminated the big broadheads and did a little better, but still every time I grouped well with field tips I would switch to the same weight broadheads and miss the target completely. Once I make the adjustments I group well with the broadheads, but it costs me 3-4 broadheads and an occasional arrow every time!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What about the possibility of shooting fixed blade broadheads without the blades or better yet with "practice" blades, then changing to new blades to hunt like Slash0311 said? Isn't that going to get me as close as I can be to practice vs. hunt? If so, let's hear some ideas for me to try for easily-replaceable fixed-blade broadheads on my Carbon Express arrows. For example, I couldn't see doing this with the Sonics as they are a real pain in the * to change out the blades.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    If you want to do that, go with the Muzzys. The blades are a snap to change out and practice blades are readily available.