In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Arrow weight

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
Can somebody tell me which arrow weighs more per inch, a 2114 or a 2016? Thank You

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    How "heavy" arrows do you use? I use 512 grain x75 and 417 grain Goldtips , with my bow at 70#. Thinking about switching to ACCs.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this is with XX75s, X7's and XX78's are slightly different but with .25 of a grain per inch.

2114 9.86 gr/in
    2016 10.56 gr/in
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is that I bought a Hoyt Banshee for my daughter. She is pulling about 38# at 24" of draw length, and it seems the sight window on this bow is so small that with the 2013's she is currently trying to shoot, we have to adjust the sight to where she can't see it for the limb pockets. The only way that I know of to be able to adjust the sight pin so she can see it is to use a heavier arrow. I don't want to go to heavy that it slows the arrow too much, but I also want enough speed that she can still get penetration. This will be her first year bowhunting with me. I'd like to set her up for at least a successful hunt. I think after this season, it will be time to move onto a different bopw with a larger sight window. Thinking of maybe an Alpine or a Diamond. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But you also have to think about the spine of the arrow. I would think both those arrows would be quite a bit over spined for a 38# draw.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shoff14, I agree with you, but how else am I going to fix the problem, which is, is that the sight window is way too short for this bow. I can't think of any other way to get the sights down where they can be seen other than to use an arrow that is too heavy. Everything else is in tune. I checked the nocking point with the square. Ihave had her draw the bow back and checked her eye and head position with the peep sight. I've checked the brace height measurement on both limbs. Everything is right on. The lighter arrows are just too fast to allow the sight to be adjusted accordingly. I'm really dissappointed in the design of the bow. I wouldn't have thought Hoyt would have this problem. That's all I've shot for the last 15 years is Hoyt, and I think they're great, but I think the Hoyt Banshee has a major design flaw, which is rendering it rather useless in my case.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Playing around with on target software, those arrows will be pretty stiff for her.

Some things you could try though to get the arrows closer to a better spine would be to lengthen them and put more weight on the front of the arrow. Maybe go up to 125 grain points. I don't know what length arrow you are looking for, I would guess in the 26-27 range.

With 2016's if you were to use 125 grain points, with 27.5" lengths from knock grove to end of shaft, you would be pretty good on your spine. The shaft would be a little longer then you may like, but its not going to come out like a fish either.

If you do go looking for new bow next year, have a look at the Hoyt Selena, its made for women it would be right in her draw length and offer a wind range of adjustment for the future. They also come in pink, she may like that. [:D]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    hey hadjii, have you tried to contact hoyt about your problem. It seems like something that I'm sure they have experienced before.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    fishermanben,

No, I haven't contacted Hoyt. Guess I never thought of that. Good idea. I think I will. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shoff14,

I'm going to try what you said about going to a longer arrow. I have bought some 2016's, but haven't cut them or fletched them yet. I'll start them off long like you said and see what happens. As far as point weight goes, I can just use points off my arrows and try that. Mine are either 100 or 125's. Lots of good advice here. Thanks alot to the both of you.