In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A hunting "tail"

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
Three years ago I was enjoying a nice day in the stand. I had my hips replaced the fall before and wasn't able to bow hunt at all and only got to gun hunt the last weekend, I had had my 2nd hip replaced the week before.
I was sitting there and a squirrel was messing around. Since I hadn't been able to hunt anything for a year, he was going into the stew pot. He was standing broadside and I figured what the heck. I drew back and let'r loose. I see a bunch of hair at my arrow which was stuck in the ground. Then I see the squirrel crawling up a tree. The way he looked, I thought that I had cut him in half. He looked half the size of a regular squirrel.
I got my bino's out to get a better glimse of the situation. I had cut his tail off. He only had about an inch left.
The minute I realized it I couldn't stop laughing. He just looked so funny. I actually felt worse for cutting his tail off than I would have for killing it. He never presented me with another shot. I knew that squirrels use there tail for balance and that he had a big disadvantage in the balance department.
A hour later 3 deer come walking by. I'm all ready to shoot the biggest one which wasn't that big. Then I see the bumps on all their heads. I won't shoot a button. This one walks over to my arrow and sniffs the squirrel tail then the arrow. He started licking the fletches. I'm thinking that if you screw that arrow up I will stick you but he then decided that it wasn't food and joined his pals.
A couple of weeks later I saw "Stumpy" again. He seemed to be coping with the tail loss ok. The next year I'm sitting in the same stand and I see "Stumpy". I started laughing again. He just looks so dang funny without the tail. I saw him a couple of times that year and only once last year. I'm hoping to see the little devil this year from that stand.

Comments