In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What camo pattern for Early Archery season in IN??

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
I'm looking into a few different camo patterns for our early season. All I have now is some heavy cold weather gear.

I need some light-medium weight camo for this coming October/November.

I hunt primarily in Hardwoods, but the leaves don't usually drop until gun season in mid-November.

Should I go with standard breakup or something else?
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• r1racingr1racing Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use mossy oak forrest floor for all my hunting needs. It works good in northern vermont.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I use ASAT in Illinois. The 3D leafy is a mesh material. You can wear anything under it. I just use my carharts in the winter with the 3D over it and what ever in early season, Shorts if it hot enough. Only need 1 set of camo all season long.

http://asatcamo.com/test11.jpg

http://asatcamo.com/test14.jpg

http://asatcamo.com/test8.jpg

http://asatcamo.com/
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Camo is one area where I'm not real brand specific. Choose one that has a good blend of greens and browns. IMHO it's not so much as the colors as it is the shapes that break up your outline. I use ADVANTAGE and REALTREE HD. Heck, I'm going to Bass Pro Clarksville tomorrow, maybe I'll upgrade my camo! (if my wife will let go of some money![:o)])

What part of Indiana?
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lafayette

About midway between Chicago and Indianapolis.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been there. I'm from the extreme southwestern end near Evansville.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cubslover, I live here in Southern Indiana and while I am lucky enough to own a few sets of camo I like Mossey Oak break up the best for all around use followed buy Advantage timber. Any of it will work as long as it breaks up your outline. All the gear in the world is not as important as being down wind and being still. If you want scent lock you may look into a light weight set of liners, you can wear anything over it. Or a light weight set of coveralls, you can wear anything under them, even your birthday suit. If you get the coveralls buy big so you can add layers under it when winter comes.

Slash, are you hunting the urban zone?
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I still say ASAT, I've had deer look right through me at 12 yrds. And its only 1 set of camo. you pick what you wear under for hot or cold weather. Just keep whatever you choose to go under washed in a scent killer and spray it down good. Heck, When its not shorts weather but not carhart weather I wear my blue jeans. Just gotta keep it scent free. Spend the $160 or whatever it is now and be done.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I dont think it really matters as lomg as you breakup your outline camo is more of a sales pitch than deer seing you I try to place my stand facing the tree so I can use the tree trunk as cover...[;)]
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bang you make a very good point. I've shot lots of deer without scent lock and one good set of camo as you have will do it. I think I see a few more with it. However I started making a better effort at scent control at the same time I bought my first set. Point is I did it all at the same time so who knows what helped the most. I also started hunting a little higher when I got a climbing tree stand at the same time. All in all I think it tripled the number of deer I see. I looked at the ASAT web site and I may but a set since I was considering a 3D set anyway.

Scout