In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

nery new to archery, some help please

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
Just got my first bow and received some Easton XX75 Realtree Hardwoods Green HDr Arrows with Vanes as a gift. Was going to start practicing, opened them up and realized I have to install the inserts into the shaft with adhesive. Is this fairly easy? Also, the only adhesive I can find at Cabelas is this Bohning Ferr-L-Tite Glue is it a decent adhesive?

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Have they been cut already? They need to be cut to fit your draw.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For aluminum arrows I have always used hot melt glue. Its cheap and most likely already around the house. I just use the hot glue guns and a blow torch. Get the aluminum warm just a little bit, not hot though as you will ruin the temper of the metal, then by using a field tip i take pliers and get the insert warm enough to keep the glue hot and then evenly distribute hot glue onto the insert and immediately stick the insert in. It may take some practice to keep the glue hot, but you have to be quick. It doesn't take much glue to hold the insert.

As bang said, you need to get them cut in for your draw. Hopefully they are the correct spine already.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Have they been cut already? They need to be cut to fit your draw.

have not been cut. wish the guys at Cabelas would have informed my father-in-law about this when he bought it there. He bought the bow and arrows at the same time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Evidently I need more help than I thought. I'm going to try to get to Cabelas this weekend to get the right equipment. If someone here can help me a bit so I know what to ask for when I get there I would appreciate it. Here is the set up I have:

Fred Bear Element XT with 29" draw at 71 pounds. IBO=302 fps and AMO=223fps, I have no idea what this is but will be reading up on it tonight. What I need to know is the correct arrow length I need and what point weight I should be using for white tail.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good bet is to cut your arrows to your DL. You can go shorter, but while hunting the BH gets very close to your hand. Take your bow with you when you get your arrows cut, or draw one back and have someone mark the length on one of the shafts and take that in. Best way to get the right length the first time.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Take the bow with you, the length your arrow needs to be can vary a bit depending on what type of rest you are shooting. They'll have you draw one and mark it. My draw is 28 and I believe my arrows are 29. I'd have to check that to be sure but I'm thinking thats what they are.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Go with the Bohning ferr-l-tite. While any hot glue will do some seem to be pretty soft and don't always hold as well. In addition if you use a fixed blade broadhead you can reheat the shaft and orient the broadhead with the vanes. Also verify that 29" is actually "your" draw length. Take an arrow and hold the nock against your chest,holding the other end out in front of you with both arms, fingers extended. Mark at the end of the fingers. This is generally your draw length unless you are using a release. If it is longer or shorter than your bows draw length the bow can generally be adjusted an inch either way. If the bow length is inconsistent with yours it can cause irregularity in your draw, resulting in inaccuracy.