In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just chrono'd

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
100gr points on 400gr arrows, 260FPS with a spread of 5fps.

This is my first bow and the first time I've been chrono'd. What do you think?
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5fps is not a bad spread. I usually see closer to 2, but that will work. You may see more consistent results if you hold hard against the back wall of the draw cycle. That is real easy to do if you shoot with proper back tension.

What was your setup? What was your speed?

I am shooting a Hoyt Vectrix with a 400gr arrow at 285 with a 29"DL and 64lb draw weight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's a pretty humble setup.

2006 PSE Nova

70lb 29" draw 500gr arrow
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    dpending on the arrow grain im between 255 and 275fps
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine do this with a 28" DL:
    Prestige 61lbs/325grs...305fp
    Switchback 71lbs/365grs..285fps
    Apex 7 60lbs/325grs..275fps
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So I should have sufficient energy?

What if I went to something like a 375gr arrow? I could probably come close to hittin 290 or so????
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover

What if I went to something like a 375gr arrow? I could probably come close to hittin 290 or so????

You will have plenty of energy. My hunting arrows shoot around 265, they weigh in at 429 grains total. I have not had a problem putting a deer down.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

You will have plenty of energy. My hunting arrows shoot around 365, they weigh in at 429 grains total. I have not had a problem putting a deer down.

365? That's smokin fast. I assume there's a typo in there somewhere?
  • Options
    edited November -1

You will have plenty of energy. My hunting arrows shoot around 365, they weigh in at 429 grains total. I have not had a problem putting a deer down.

haha, yes it was a typo [:0] 265 us what i meant!
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

No typo here...I just shot some new HCA Speed Pro 6.2 gpi arrows through my '01 HCA Carbon 4-Runner...29"/70# at 351 fps. My new '07 Carbon Stilletto should do 375 or better!!
  • Options
    Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Hoyt Turbotec
    Arrows wight with 100 gr tip is 350 gr Carbon Express CX 300
    29 inch draw, clean string nothing but D-loop and inline peep
    SPEED 318 fps

My Hoyt Vipertec
    Arrow weight with 100 gr tip is 355 gr Carbon Express CX 300
    29 inch draw, clean string nothing but D-loop and inline peep
    SPEED 285 fps
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I run a Bowtech Hush kit on mine, I assume I loose some speed with it.

D loop and inline peep as well.

I wonder what I could shoot pushing a 300-325gr arrow?
  • Options
    Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cubslover how many pounds do you draw. remember it at least 5 grains of arrow for every pound of draw minimum or bad things can happen. if you want fast for a bowtec put a speed mod on it.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fred bear vapor: 69lbs, 385 gr arrow, 100 grain head, 285 fps.
    my first bow that I have setup, bought, sighted in, all me brother [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As I mentioned earlier, I pull 70lbs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cubs,

If I were you, or me for that matter. Stop worrying about speed. Everyone is all about speed speed speed. You will be hunting in Indiana I would assume, probably in a tree, from a tree stand. You might get the opportunity to shoot at most 30 yards, maybe 35 out into a field and such. Most likely any good shot will be under 20 yards at which point it doesn't matter if you have a 325 fps arrow or a 225 fps arrow. An arrow thumping into the right spot equals a dead dear, it won't be any more dead if it gets hit with a 325 fps arrow
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cubs,

If I were you, or me for that matter. Stop worrying about speed. Everyone is all about speed speed speed. You will be hunting in Indiana I would assume, probably in a tree, from a tree stand. You might get the opportunity to shoot at most 30 yards, maybe 35 out into a field and such. Most likely any good shot will be under 20 yards at which point it doesn't matter if you have a 325 fps arrow or a 225 fps arrow. An arrow thumping into the right spot equals a dead dear, it won't be any more dead if it gets hit with a 325 fps arrow

No one worries about speed except the manufacturers themselves. They are the ones that continue to push the envelope to reign atop the "fastest bow" pedestal. Some of us choose to embrace it, some of us don't. I look at as a luxury and an "edge" over the lightning fast reflexes of a whitetail...and I'll take any "edge" I can get when matching wits with one of them.
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just ran mine tru the machine don't want to say what it was will say this i am going to have to find some speed somewhere. going to turning it up a round maybe two if i can pull it would change my draw length but nothing there to play with going to a carbon express 100 can anyone else think of a way to speed this up shooting a martin 271/2 draw with a loop pulling 45 pounds
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ladyhunter
    just ran mine tru the machine don't want to say what it was will say this i am going to have to find some speed somewhere. going to turning it up a round maybe two if i can pull it would change my draw length but nothing there to play with going to a carbon express 100 can anyone else think of a way to speed this up shooting a martin 271/2 draw with a loop pulling 45 pounds

Lighter arrows and points/broadheads...feathers instead of heavy plastic vanes, and more draw weight. You're limited by your draw length and poundage. Hit where you're aiming and keep your shots within your comfort zone...you'll be fine.
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fairly decent hitting where i aim but the target don't move. i'll put it this way a drugged turtle could proberly jump my arrow i am going with lighter arrows but had to order them will be in next week was shooting goldtips 3555 going with pse100 don't want to go to light going with 1 in. fletching barely legal on my broadheads they must be 100 grams could go to 28 draw without my loop
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ladyhunter
    fairly decent hitting where i aim but the target don't move. i'll put it this way a drugged turtle could proberly jump my arrow i am going with lighter arrows but had to order them will be in next week was shooting goldtips 3555 going with pse100 don't want to go to light going with 1 in. fletching barely legal on my broadheads they must be 100 grams could go to 28 draw without my loop

Just make sure your lighter arrows aren't underspined for your setup. Gateway makes some 2" feathers called Rayzrs. They are a bit taller than a parabolic feather and are ideal for broadheads. Three of them together only weigh 5-6 grains. I'd keep the D-loop and maybe start strengthening those bowhunting muscles so you can crank up your poundage!