In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First Day in the woods

HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
Well, yesterday was opening day, but I was driving back from Florida so I didn't get a chance to get out. I went to bed early and got up at 4 this morning. It was nice and cool for this time of year, about 62 degrees with no moon. Made the hour and a half drive down to the lease. Just as I was about to turn down the road to the lease, I realized that I forgot my normal harness hanging in the garage. Fortunately, I had a spare in the truck (the same thing happened last year and spent the day hunting from the ground, so I put one in there for emergencies).
Got to the lease and geared up. Climbed up in my stand about 45 minutes before sunrise. As I said before, it was nice and cool and of course I promptly fell asleep.[:D]
I in the back of my mind I was still listening and I heard the squirrels start moving. The next thing I knew it sounded like the tree was coming down around my head! I probably would have jumped out of the tree if not for my safety line (lucky I had one). I then thought it was an army of squirrels coming to get revenge on me for what I did to the population down there last winter.[;)] The next thing that went through my mind was that they had recruited an airborne division, because there was something coming down on my head.[:0]
It was then that I realized that it was turkeys. I had a whole group of them (about 7 hens and poults) roosted in the trees around me. I think that one of them was actually roosted in my tree.
Well, after I talked myself out of having a heart attack, I sat down and watched them wander off.
Didn't see any deer, but I do have a couple of fresh scrapes around my stand and plenty of other sign too, so I am pumped about getting back out there.

Comments