In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Deer Rattling

ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
What time of the year do you guys start rattling? I have never tried it before and would appreciate and tips on the subject.

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    depends where you live. pre rut is the best time early november, I rattled many time and said this crap dosent work then one day about 9:00 am last ditch effort I rattled the bag agressivly for about 45 sec not a minuite later 2 bucks came running up an oak ridge and I was able to take the larger of the two. I still dont rattle much but conditions right it can pay off. if you are in your stand and not seeing deer you have nothing too loose .. or if you spot abuck too far away give them anlter's a tickle .. can't win if ya dont play..[;)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I try pre rut also.
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I rattle lightly with soft grunts and "bachelor" calls even before pre-rut.
    Pre-rut is the best time.
    During the rut also works sometimes. Also, learn how to do a snort-wheeze. It adds a lot and will get a buck that is out of range to come in looking for a fight in a hurry.