In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

One hit, One miss

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
It was an eventful first hunt of the season. Fist I drove all the way to where I park to remember I left my bag of camo on the bed in one of the spare rooms. I went back, got it and got to my tree and climbed up.

First in was the biggest tree rat I have ever seen. I watched him for a while gathering acorns and walnuts.

Next up was 2 turkeys. Nice jake and a big tom. They did not stay long, and bugged out.

Now for the hit... A coyote came in chasing a turkey pullet and made the mistake of getting too close to me. The Rage did a number on him! It rolled him, he yelped and ran into the corn gurgling. Good double lung shot on that one. Hopefully one day the turkey gods will return the favor.

And last up for the night; the miss. I saw what I thought was a nice doe walking up the field edge and drew at 25 yards. Then a flick of the ear and I saw it was a fork horn buck. I let down just for a second and then saw a giant buck trotting to catch up. I drew when he was behind a bunch of brush and bleated to get him to stop. He stopped alright, and turned right to me. He stared at me for quite a long time! 17" wide 9 point I would call 140 gross. After quite a long stare down he turned and walked to my next shooting lane. There I took a shot, but was shaking so bad from holding the bow drawn so long I shot low and he trotted to my last lane. I reached for another arrow and knocked them all out of the quiver and they all fell to the ground.

I did manage to find all my arrows. First time I ever emptied the quiver... Too bad I couldn't have got one of them into that buck. I will be back out tomorrow. Going to sit in another spot. It is a big enough property... 500 acres. Going for a doe in the AM. A co-worker asked me to shoot one for her. She likes venison, but does not hunt. I got her one last year and she had it gone by Feb!

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the yote! Sorry bout the buck. Thanks for sharing your hunt, 14 more days and I can be out there.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    That reminds me Im going to go for a yote hunt tonight if the beagle will let me go all she wants to do is go rabbit hunting poor thing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now that I went out and planted that one, my mother-in-law called and wants a good hide. I told her the hole in this one was too big and would require lots of stitching. She told me to save the next one I could. I think she wants to put it in the new deer camp we are just finishing.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    dsco - if you have a cheap fixed blade broadhead laying around, I would put one on an arrow to use as your yote arrow. It won't leave the hatchet wound that your Rage's do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    dsco - if you have a cheap fixed blade broadhead laying around, I would put one on an arrow to use as your yote arrow. It won't leave the hatchet wound that your Rage's do.

I have some Muzzy 3 blade that fly the same as everything else. I thought about taking one just in case, but I want to shoot my deer with the Rage. Having the Muzzy along would be an excuse to just use what worked for me in the past. After seeing how the Rage worked, I'm sold.

I don't see shooting another coyote with the bow as being likely. Most have never even had the opportunity. This was my 2nd in 3 years! I will just use a rifle to take one for the MIL. Makes smaller holes!