In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Archery Beginner

LatumicLatumic Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
I am just now starting to get into archery. Is there a good website I can go to to learn more about archery? What website would you recomend for equipment? Is starting out with a traditional longbow a bad idea? What kind of arrows should i use with a longbow? Does it matter? What do pull pounds matter for shooting? I know it is alot but Im sure you guys have been through these questions before.

Comments

• Options
    jagjag Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    archerytalk.com has all the answers...
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    To answer a couple of your other questions, there is nothing wrong with starting out with a longbow. I started on a traditional recurve. It will take you longer to get good with it than with a compound with all the bells and whistles, but it will teach you the basics very well. As far as poundage, a longbow's or recurve's poundage will vary with draw length (how far you pull it back). If you plan to hunt with it I would recommend at least a 55 lb draw weight. To answer about arrows, with a traditional bow you can use traditional arrows (cedar with feathers) but, I would recommend aluminum arrows. They will be much cheaper and you won't be as angry when you break or lose a few (which you will do). Wherever you buy them from should have an arrow chart that will let you know which ones you need based on your draw length and draw weight.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the hobby that will soon turn into an obsession.[;)]
  • Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to like the old fiberglass arrows that easton used to make for longbows. I don't think you can get them anywhere now days though, they were great because they did not bend. Carbon arrows work better then aluminum in my opinion because they will not bend either. It does not take much to make an alum arrow worthless. Traditional archery can be very fun, although it is harder to master than modern archery.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ladams
    I used to like the old fiberglass arrows that easton used to make for longbows. I don't think you can get them anywhere now days though, they were great because they did not bend. Carbon arrows work better then aluminum in my opinion because they will not bend either. It does not take much to make an alum arrow worthless. Traditional archery can be very fun, although it is harder to master than modern archery.

ladams - I agree with your reasoning for carbon arrows, however, for a beginner, they usually can't get over the cost, plus, if you break an arrow, it is broken for good. If you bend an aluminum arrow, you can straighten it.
  • Options
    telkevtelkev Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not use carbon arrows for a recurve or long bow. Yes the carbons are more durable, but the weight ratio(arrow weight to pounds that the bow is pulling) is too low. Shooting an arrow that is too light will cause some serious bow damage. Go with a good 2216 aluminum arrow with feathers. If you are shooting right handed, make sure to use left helical feathers, this will provide less arrow kick off the shelf and help stabilze broadheads better.