In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Beginner...Again!! Question?

mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
So I have a hoyt MagnaTec with the XT2000 limbs. It is a 60-70# draw. My question is, I bought my rig in 2002, used it for about three months, and then stored it for four years. Do I need to change the string and other components? How do you store a compound if you aren't going to use it for awhile? Did I possibly damage anything by leaving it sit with all of that tension on the limbs? Thanks!! Trying to dust it off, loved learning back in '02 so it is time to give it another go!

Comments

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It probably depends on how you stored it. If you kept it in a dry place, Id inspect it closely and go for it. Whats the difference if you store it for four years or use it for four years? It should be in better shape if you just stored it properly. I have bows with the same strings for 20 years or more and have no problems. Most strings deteriorate with use and wear. I would use it and not worry about it.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would for sure draw it really slow at first, before that I would inspect the string. If that string dry rotted you will bust your limbs and your face...
  • Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with JimmyJack whats the differance if you've been hunting with it a couple times a year or storing it. But it does depend how you stored it. Did it get wet, did the sun light beat on it for months on end. Then I might be concerned. Good storage is wax the string and put it in a cool dry place out of the sun light and your good to go.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I was told if you were not going to shoot your bow for months to lower the poundage to store it
  • ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had the same string on my bow for 7 years, every year I take it to my local archery shop and ask if I need a new string they look at it and say nope it looks fine still. The trick is to keep it well waxed. I personally think that places only tell you you need a new string every year is because they want the money to install it for you.
  • Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might as well wax it, de-string it, and completly disasemble it just to be safe.[}:)]
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did wax it before I stored it in a case in my closet. It looks fine. Just wanted to make sure. I need to find a place to shoot around where I live, so I am sure I will be able to ask someone a little more experienced. Thanks everyone for the help.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mkirkland
    I did wax it before I stored it in a case in my closet. It looks fine. Just wanted to make sure. I need to find a place to shoot around where I live, so I am sure I will be able to ask someone a little more experienced. Thanks everyone for the help.

A little more than what? how long have you, I or the next guy been shooting? Selling equipment, tooling, ect..? Just curious?
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been shooting a total of less than six months all combined, so someone with six months and one day probably has much more knowledge than me. Always shot alone in my back yard, so I probably have a million bad habits. Now I live in a city where the closest place to shoot is an hour away, and my wife has said start using it or it has to go. So anyone probably has a better idea than me, and hell i would be happy to meet anyone within a 50 mile radius that has any interest in the bow and or hunting. Anybody have any suggestions for a nonvegetarian, heterosexual, conservative, gun owning, want-to-be archer in the greater Los Angeles area? Oh, besides moving away, because I am working on that one.[xx(]