In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Horrible day last Sunday.

thunderstick82thunderstick82 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
Went out sunday worning to try my luck. Doe walked in around 7:45am. Took the only shot she presented. 46 yrds (I ranged it)quarting away. I have had alot of practice at that distance and even farther so I was completely confident with that shot. Unfortunately my arrow grazed a twig. I still hit her but I have no idea where. She fell and kicked for a few seconds. Got up and hobbled down the ridge and back up another one where she fell again. Few seconds later she was up again and made it over the ridge and out of sight. I never heard her fall again. I stayed put til bout 9am. Climbed down and walked to where I had hit her. My Rage 2 blade had broken off. Arrow was fine. Just the base and the threaded shaft of the broadhead remained. Long story short. Me and GABOWBUCK tracked her for 3-1/2 hrs with no luck. She went a long way with little blood so I'm trying to convince myself she lived. Still sucks though. This is the first deer I've lost. Any ideas on where I might have hit her?

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    When she was hobbling was she favoring the front or back legs? You may have just hit her in the off-side leg. That would explain the lack of blood and the broken broadhead (hit the bone). Was the arrow covered in blood?

I lost one last year. It sucks big-time. Sorry to hear it.
  • Options
    thunderstick82thunderstick82 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess you would say she was favoring her front legs. She would walk sideways. There was blood about 3-4" down the shaft but thats all.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    You probably hit her high on the shoulder. That would explain why she dropped to begin with. The shock of the shot near the spine caused temporary paralysis. Hitting her high would also explain the lack of blood. As for whether she survived or not, if she went a long way without bedding down, it obviously wasn't a mortal wound. As long as the wound doesn't get infected, she has a good chance of making it. I am an optimist.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A season ago my uncle shot at 40 yards with his x-bow, he hit a limb and hit the does foot/ankle, he found a lot of blood at first not knowing where he hit her, he traced her for 2 hours never found her. We went back to check where she was standing and found a piece of bone that we later found out it was her ankle. She hobbled and fell just like you have explained. Hope this helps man. I have hit a few in the ribs and back and never found them but my arrow never penetrated so they had to of lived...I know how you feel.