In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

first critter hit with arrow

Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
Saturday evening between 6 and 6:30 I had several sows and some little piglets come into my feeder. I waited until a good sized black boar came in and was able to put an arrow in him at 20 yards. Felt good, saw the arrow hit and saw the boar run away with arrow sticking out. The bad news was I found several places where the swine had lost some blood but it got dark on me and I had to give up. I went back the next morning and looked and looked but never did find the critter. Breaks my heart. My first critter I put an arrow in and can't confirm the kill.

Oh well, I'll be back out there before long and will try again.

Bode

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winston Bode

Saturday evening between 6 and 6:30 I had several sows and some little piglets come into my feeder. I waited until a good sized black boar came in and was able to put an arrow in him at 20 yards. Felt good, saw the arrow hit and saw the boar run away with arrow sticking out. The bad news was I found several places where the swine had lost some blood but it got dark on me and I had to give up. I went back the next morning and looked and looked but never did find the critter. Breaks my heart. My first critter I put an arrow in and can't confirm the kill.

Bode
    that stinks. hey man they have this new invention it's called a flashlight.[:0][:D][:D] just razzing better luck nextime
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Yeah, them pigs are a pain to bring down. Their vitals are farther forward than on a deer (similar to African game). I shot a monster hog in SC with my bow and never found him. I never got my arrow back either.
    Better luck next time.
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    The only truely safe shot to make on a boar, with a bow, is a quartering away. If you hit the plate... they will bleed but you wont take it down.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    they are tough with a bow that big sow in florida I shot 3 arrows and broke two broadheads.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Posted - 10/11/2007 : 08:00:12 AM

quote:
    Originally posted by Winston Bode

Bode

that stinks. hey man they have this new invention it's called a flashlight. just razzing better luck nextime

I carry a lantern light, and a blueish light that makes blood look green in the dark, I also bought like a 10 $ light from wally world, it is just big and bright! The blueish light really helps when the deer went thro some thick stuff and its hard to find blood. The first buck I shot bled out bad at first, but then for the next 300 yards I had droplets if not none, I hit him far back(5 inches behind the shoulder) quartering away. I think I clipped the offside lung but that was it, he went like 400 yards, all down hill though...[V]
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, from what I'm being told I might have hit him a little low. I know it sounded like the arrow hit a board when it stuck. Not a good blood trail at all, just a couple of spots and then nothing.

I'll try a higher point of aim with a quartering away shot next time. Live and learn.

Bode

P.S. I knew the vitals were farther forward more between the shoulders behind the grissle shield but must have reverted back to a behind the shoulder point of aim like I usually shoot a deer. If it had been a deer it would have been a perfect heart shot.