In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

single sight

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any of ya'll use a red dot scope on your bow? Or use a single pin or like a crosshair type deal. I started off instinctive shooting, then bumped to one pin, I used to be able to guess anywhere from 10-25 yards on height, I kinda am thinking about going back to that style. Anyone think its a good or bad idea? When I shoot in the backyard I really don't even look at my 20-30 yard pin, I angle my first pin I get my bearings and wham. I actually shoot pretty quickly, draw pause for literally 1 1/2 seconds and I let go. I practice a little on holding for up to 15 seconds to strengthen or if that buck stepped behind some brush I can pause longer in a tree.

Comments

• Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Shoot what you feel comfy with... as far as holding for only 15 seconds... either lower your bow weight or do some back excercises!
  • Options
    thunderstick82thunderstick82 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes when I practice, I will hold full draw as long as I can then shoot. Seems to help me.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I used to use 1 pin. Had more but only used 1. I have sighted now 20-30-40. We'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    telkevtelkev Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used one pin for 20 years. Although I use an adjustable sight. I've found using the single sight point lowers the confusion when trying to concentrate on making the perfect shot. Most of the time I don't even bother moving the sight to change yardage, I know how it hits a different distances and just shoot the same way you would hold over with a scope at long distances. If you can only hold your bow back for 15 seconds and make an accurate shot, then I would suggest lowering your draw weight. It will be better to make a more accurate shot than missing your mark and following a blood trail for hours. Most modern compound bows have more than enough kinetic energy for a complete pass-through at 60lbs. of draw weight. You will find that the red dot sight will only hurt you in low light situations.