In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mid 60's temperatures ok to hang a deer for 10hrs?

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
I have to work at 4:30 in the morning tomorrow. I'm heading out tonight to my stand. If I stick one and get it back I probably won't be in time for me to drop it at the chop shop. If I let it hand in the garage packed in ice, will it be ok until 4:30 that afternoon?
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you have plenty of ice yes i soak mine in ice for a couple of days
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    It's pushing it, but it would probably be okay. It should be cooler than that anyway.

Ben
  • Options
    rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The human body can eat food that's in much worse condition than we think is possible. However if your not interested in eating rotten meat it would probably be ok stuffed with ice for that long in the mid 60's but it is pushing it you can keep a deer outside for 10 days if under 50 degrees from what I have read.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My buddy skins his deer, wraps it in cheese cloth, hangs it in the barn in the shade where it is cool. Then he packs the body cavity with ice and wraps a clean comforter or heavy blanket over and around the deer. He claims it ages and tenderizes the meat.
    He does it every year and he has not died yet.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Just watch out for "Baby Flies".[;)]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I learned this weekend from our meat locker when a deer goes "bad" there is a part of the meat that turns green. Its that thin part where you cut the deer open for guttin'. Its easier for me to show ya then tell ya but I'm not sure how I'm gonna do that.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    I learned this weekend from our meat locker when a deer goes "bad" there is a part of the meat that turns green. Its that thin part where you cut the deer open for guttin'. Its easier for me to show ya then tell ya but I'm not sure how I'm gonna do that.

A picture paints a thousand words,.[:D]

I was wondering if your nephews buck was edible after spending the night. It did get somewhat cool that night so I figured that it was ok. I know on my son's first one last youth season, the first weekend in Oct., we hung it for around 3 hours to wait and see if the other family needed help, than to run to town and get bags and ice to put the meat in since it was in the 60's. We had a bad experience with baby flies on his. We cleaned off the bad stuff ground the rest.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:I was wondering if your nephews buck was edible after spending the night.

Thats how I learned the green thing. I told the guy at the locker it was shot the night before and found that morning and he showed me how to tell when the meat is going bad.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    It'll be fine, people eat lots worse than that and never even know. If your first pack of deer burger happens to make you sick you might consider giving the rest away. [:p]