In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

True? or False?

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
The very first deer I ever harvested was a rather crude 9 pointer. It was a Saturday, just after noon. I was sitting in a homemade wooden stand located in a maple tree about 17-20 feet high. I hadn't seen anything all day and was getting pretty fidgety from sitting. Suddenly I noticed movement on the ridgeline in front of me, after staring I watched a couple hunters move through. Then I was mad and ready to leave, figured they had ruined my hunting spot for sure, had myself convienced that no deer would ever come through that hollow again. About that time, as I talked back and forth with myself in my head, here comes a doe walking straight to me coming off that ridge where the other guys had been. I was in awl, I fumbled around trying to get myself ready, as she was about to enter my 30 yard circle she veered sharply and headed down the hollow to my left. As I watched something caught my attention in the direction she came from, as I looked I saw a buck coming right off the same ridge. He walked straight for me, as he started to pass my 15 yard mark I whistled and he stopped. My arrow entered perfectly and he didn't even run. He walked about 30 yards down a logging rode below my stand, started to cross one of the rutted skidder tracks and never went farther. As I sat in my stand looking at him all I could see was a big antler sticking up out of the skidder rut. I waited as long as I could then climbed down for a look. When I got to the deer and lifted his head I was mad, I thought he broke his antler when he fell, once I looked closer I realized he hadn't broken it then. This deer had one beam that was about 16 or 18 inches long with 8 tines coming off of it, the other side was like 4 inches long and about 3 inches in diameter. He had scares all over his face and body, his hair was grey, and one eye was glassy like he might have been blind. We took the deer to a friend of ours who is a vet and long time deer hunter, he said that buck was between 5 and 6 years old from checking it's teeth. That was the very first deer I got and it was with a bow. Is this true or false?

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    False, you lie.[:D][}:)][:D]

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    is it possible part of the story is true.. quote:as I talked back and forth with myself in my head..... I definately believe this part.[;)]

I will say false cause I think I said true on the last one.[:)]

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How come I always get picked on around here?

Bang, did you or enos bring home any meat?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No sir, I saw 5 or 6. One of them may have been the same deer but none offered any shots. I probably blew it on one but it was nice to see deer so it wasn't a wasted trip. I was watching some doe behind me trying a doe grunt to get them to come in thinking they will be herding up soon if they haven't started already and when I turned around I had one right in front of me, but she was in the thick brush, which was only right in front of me, and wouldn't come out. Should have snapped some pics but I didn't. maybe next time. On a real sad note I've only got one more hunt this year and I'm done. No time to get out until the last weekend[:(]. However I guess I have had an outstanding year. Got five deer down, four in my freezer[:p] and gave one to Dad. I have been blessed this year for sure.

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    a story like that has to be true

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Either your a good story teller or a great liar. I will say true. Nice story all the detail may have fooled me. let's see[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The actual answer is "False" because I killed this deer with a 20 gauge model 37 Ithica. The story is true. I tried to find the rack to take a picture and post with the answer but I couldn't find it and it's darn cold to be looking in the barn. [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh I see bang wont answer for me![:D] Well Susp I saw about the same amount and they were some of the same deer! But I saw three differant does Bang didnt see and one offered a beautiful broadside shot at 25 yards and I decided not to take her having two does down.
    Hope I don't come to regret it.[:(] Saw 6 out of my blind sunday with 30 MPH winds and wind chills in the MINUS range. One buck and the rest does. The wind had them pretty nervous and never gave a shot.

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I already regret you not taking that shot. Shoulda took it then not thought anymore about it. [;)]

The wind chill has been rather chilly around here to. A blind sounds cozy compared to my open air stands [}:)][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We are at a balmy -1 degree today where I live.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's like Florida where I live. It's a whopping 36, sunny, and no wind.[8D]

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A balmy...??? Am I like a total dumb a double s or what [:I]? I must be a total hick because I have no clue what a stinking balmy is, I sure hope it only happens on the east coast.[B)]

Ben, I'll bring the beer, will you help me wash my truck this afternoon? Got any extra lawn chairs? [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Susp. said beer, I'm in!!!!![:p]

Ben be prepared though, I think we are looking at a high of 19 on Thurs. and the low of 1.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Susp. said beer, I'm in!!!!![:p]

Ben be prepared though, I think we are looking at a high of 19 on Thurs. and the low of 1.

I got my auger, my ice pole, a lifejacket, and a rope that says if I get close to an inch of clear ice, I'm FISHING!!!

Ben

• Options
    edited November -1
    The story is true[:0] the only thing is you lied about what you shot it with[B)] . Hey man this is a trick question . NO BEER for Suspension[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No tricks about it Buckey, I actually figured everyone would get it right. How many of you have killed your first deer with a bow?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mine was with a bow! A scraggly Seven point buck!

• Options
    edited November -1
    well enos your more special than most of us. [:D] Seriously though, your first deer was shot with a bow and it was a buck? I doubt that is to common. How old were you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yea, your right I was 15 years old and shot it with a shotgun and diden't stop shooting till the deer stopped moving. Boy my old man was pissed off said I ruined all the meat. I was just a kid and thought when you shot somthing it fell over dead instantly. OOPS[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My first was a buck as well, basket 7 with a bow. The coyotes found him before I did unfortunately. [V]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Gee whiz, you IL guys must be something[:)]. I had to shoot 6 or 8 deer before I killed one with an arrow[:(!] and that was a doe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was 16! Can't brag to much though it's been bad since![xx(]