In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

No deer!

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
Checked my Deer Buffet set up and not one picture on the cam. 25 lbs of corn gone. Have to go today and refill and make sure the cam is working properly. I know I stunk up the area last week when we set it all up but it has rained since and I figured that would clear away any smells. What a Let-down! Last year I started feeding late and I remeber It took a while to get going, Guess I need to be a little more patient. I hope nothing is wrong with the cam, Its the "El-cheapo" for $59.99....

Ruric, NE OHIO,

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just like the title implies, I have killed no deer this season. It's a few weeks until muzzleloader, and I really don't have my hopes up considering the rut is over. I still want to go out for muzzleloader and afterwards, but I just feel like my chances aren't nearly as good and that I probobly won't see a thing. Has anyone ever killed a nice buck on muzzleloader or afterwards with a bow? I'd like to hear from you.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I got this one two years ago, about a week maybe 1-1/2 weeks after gun season.

Just yesterday I saw a very nice 8 or 10 point while hauling wood. My dad told me yesterday he seen a very big buck bedded behind his barn this past Friday morning (that interests me greatly, my dad doesn't refer to many as very nice) [:)]. Some of the experts say the bigger/older bucks come into a second rut towards Dec and Jan, kinda like a last chance for does to breed that never took during the November rut. Why they say only the older bucks do this I have no clue. I shot a few decent size bucks during Ohios muzzleloader season so theres no reason for you to feel like you chances are gone.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WOW thanks susp. he is a brute! By the way, what'd he score?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    never scored him, thought about doing that the other night though. I think he was like 18 or 19 inches inside. That photo makes him look bigger than he does on the wall. I thought the taxidermists was trying to pass off another deer on me when I picked it up. [;)] bout had to rumble [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been seeing a great buck at and around my blind. He has not presented me a shot yet. He came very close last week but stood behind a tree and I shot at the smaller buck beside him. It was getting pretty dark and I missed him over his back. The big one and him ran 20 yards and came back out and started feeding again. We (bang and I) are still seeing him so I hope he will mess up and give me a clear shot. Today on his way home for lunch Bang saw him? and others within arms distance from my blind.[^] I am certain I will get a chance before bow season is up, JAN 13. I have taken two does so I can still take two bucks and more does but I WANT THAT BIG ONE!

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good luck enos. Not sure if this will help or not, but i'll say it anyway. [:D] One year I hunted a particular buck, he was no trophy by far, but for some reason I wanted him. Probably because he seemed to elude my stand just enough each time to keep his butt safe. I ended up setting up a natural blind in hopes to get him, he caught on to that and many other things I tried to. It ended up I put a halloween scarecrow, that my friends wife had by their garage door to throw away, in the blind while I wasn't there. Left that scarecrow in there for a week, came in before light and setup in the blind, before 8 I was watching that guy run off with my arrow sticking out of him. It may have been pure luck, but I believe that figure sitting in that blind all that time had something to do with me getting that deer.
  • Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tanks Susp I will keep that im mind> Sounds like a great trick to try if I notice him avoiding the blind when I'm in it! We should have some answers sunday hopefully I will be hunting there ALLDAY![:)]

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • Options
    daweimerdaweimer Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang sus he looks like he was bigger than 18 or 19. I would be proud to hang him on my wall ( or where ever she will allow me to hang him[:I]). Big boys like that are hard to come by around here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have read in articles and other places before that by using a naturally smart animal (turkey, crow etc.) decoy that deer won't be as nervous. Some say they actually watch turkey and if turkey seem scared or nervous the deer wil leave the area.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    daweimer, he hangs right in our living room above the fireplace. Only one I keep here though, but she doesn't mind. I wanted to put it in the rec room, but she insisted on the living room. Guess she's a decent one to keep around. [;)]

A.gun, good info. I never read that before. Might need to start dragging my turkey decoys around with me. It makes sense, turkey and crow always see me before a deer sees me. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, the countdown 'till muzzleloader is on. I'm hoping I can get out in the woods before then, not to just hunt but to get a ground blind built or setup before. I have the perfect spot picked out, where deer commonly pass. I figure I'm gonna hold out for my first buck still, hopefully one will walk by[:D] .....BUT then again by the last day if it's a big doe, she is gonna be in trouble[8D]
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Getting desperate here too.I think I'm gonna shoot that Little 70 pound 6 Pt. if he walks near me.
    The really good thing bout him.He'll be easy draggin.I probably won't even need any help.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well if you do need help, I'm sure "someone" will be in the area that could be of assistance[:)]
  • Options
    8yellowfintuna8yellowfintuna Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun, don't feel bad I haven't shot on in 5 years, but then again we only get one day a year to fill a tag.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Really, one day? That's crazy...I dunno what I would do without a hunting "season", I'm looking forward to turkey allready[:)]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Big 10-4 on the turkey, I am still waiting for my tags but I have submitted and applied for four seasons so I should get one. I will shoot the yotes in the meantime. In fact I may go do that now, got off work early been drivin' round watchin for some but didn't have a weapon with me. Maybe I will go try to call some.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine