In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bow fishing????

gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
Anyone here do any bow fishing? I think it could be fun just not alot of info out there. I have a bud that is going bow 'fishing' for gators in 2 weeks somewhere in FL. I think that would be a blast!!! Anyone out there have a good rig for it? Maybe steer me in the right direction?

Comments

• Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ain't them there bows hard to clean and cook?[:D] In all seriousness i've seen shows about just never tried it. From what I see they don't use a release and alot use older bows.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have older bow... looking for a good rig for it.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless someone else finds info for you before me, i'm going to call up an old friend this evening and see what he uses. He lives to bow fish in the back waters of Rend Lake. Try here www.bowfishiowa.com
    Go to Info then bowfish 101, it might help some.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    http://search.ebay.com/bow-fishing_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQcatrefZC6QQsosortpropertyZ1

ebay has everything you need, depending on what you plan to bowfish. I use a OLD cheapo zebco reel like they show and I have one of those fishing arrows. It sure ain't the slickest setup, but it works. I only ever shoot carp in the flooded back waters.
    I zip tie the reel to my bow, attach the string from the reel to the arrow, shoot a carp, then reel it in. There is normally 2 or 3 of us doing this, along with a few 12 ounce on lookers so we by far do not do anything fancy, except maybe fall in the water once in a while. [:D]
    I believe some of the reels today come with a brace that can attached to a bow permanent then the reel snaps on or off...
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20840&item=7123396455&rd=1
    Here's the one, $23, looks like it screws in place of your stabilizer. I might even bid on this, if I had an ebay account (my brother probably has one [:)]). see ya [;)]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I haven't done it but the brother inlaw does and he says it is a blast and a must try. However he also says that he wouldn't think a compound would be a good bow to use. He uses traditional. Says you need to be quick when you see your target.
    He ordered his rig from his traditional bow shop.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gagirl,

I've done a good bit of bow fishing and would be happy to discuss it with you. Just email me your questions and I'll try to help you out and point you in the right direction. Talk to you soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I was actually thinking about going a bit off shore. I kinda thought about hitting Greys reef of G bouy and getting some barracuda. Carp just dont do anything for me. In the ponds we duck hunt you can reach down and pick them up. Have a great picture of my son when he did just that. Got kinda wet but it was funny. Yall think a crossbow may work better?
  • Options
    dahmerdahmer Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gagirl, check out the website for Muzzy. They are into bowfishing for 'gators bigtime. they would have the equipment you need.
  • Options
    257robertsimp257robertsimp Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bow fishing is much more fun than deer hunting. I have spent countless hours on the ox bow lakes around Indiana. In Florida people will be fishing for gator gar which get very big. I am usually shooting the longnose gar. A big longnose gar weighs about 30 pounds and will get around four feet long. The equipment I use is a light weight compound. You must be able to pull it all day long if you are in a good area. I think mine shoots about 35 pounds. The best fish points are the Muzzy trocar tips. I also rig my arrows with a cable slide. I put a heavy swivel onto weed eater line and attach it at both ends of the arrow with steel cable clamps. This will allow pass through shots without damaging the line as much. You will need to check your line after every shot for damage. Losing arrows is expensive. The good tips were 8.00 bucks each last time I bought them. make sure you have plenty of arrows made up ahead of time, I usually take at least five for each person in the boat. I have an old video from PSE archery on bowhunting gator gar. Send address and I will send it to you. I only ask that you return it in a couple of months. Feel free to contact me as I always want to talk about bow fishing. troyandsusan@bluemarble.net
  • Options
    texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muzzy is about the best place and best bowfishing products to use. I really like the 1061 Retriever Reel. Trust me the extra money is worth it on that one. http://www.shopatron.com/index/182.0.1934.1951.0.0.0
    For your friend. Here is the Muzzy Gator page.
    http://www.shopatron.com/index/182.0.1934.1949.0.0.0
    I use the same reel but slotted so I can use a float. I use a bottle for a float and lightly duct tape it to my lower limb.
    But probably too late for your friend to get anything from muzzy in time. I have taken a couple gators bowfishing. I made up my own rig mostly. Used a solid aluminum shaft rigged with a stronger than usual cable between the point and nock. For the point I used a muzzy fish point base, but threaded it for a spear gun point. I found some strong spectra line locally that was manufactured for bow fishing. They are very tough skinned. Sharpen your point and be close for the shot. Sometimes and perhaps in Florida you can get up on them with a boat. In Texas a good trick to get them in close is to use a fishing pole with a large hookless topwater lure. Working with a partner situate yourself on the bank between the gator and your partner with the fishing pole. Be perfectly still ready to draw as your partner repeatedly casts near the gator each time drawing him closer to you. You can often place the gator right at your feet this way. After pulling the gator in use a gun or knife to dispatch it. Lots of fun.
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WOW!!!! Seems to be few out there bow fishing. I am going to have to print all this off and take some time to digest the info. We have tons of Gar and big Grass Carp in my area and I figured it would give me another reason to be outside. We can have a yearly "draw" for gator tags and we can only bag one. I do have an ex who is a licensed "gator relocator" who I may see about going out and bowhunting some with him. ( Talking David into letting me go out on a boat with an ex will be hard ) Well time to print and digest all this info... thanks guys I will be back with more questions!!!!!!

Hey I did notice that one was shooting only a 35 lb bow recurve or compound? And what kinda speed is that one getting?