In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

a sad story

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
I just read on the achery talk forums about a guy in illinois who shot a 200 class buck. he shot it on his own land the night before gun season opened. well some gun hunters who had there sights set on bagging this deer found out about it. they called the DNR agaent ans said he poached it. well the guy who shot it trailed it onto another guys unmarked property by a few yards where it fell dead. the gun hunters told the farmer he poached it from his property and how much the buck was worth. well it was confiscated and the poor guy is in all sorts of trouble. how messed up is that

My old man's backhand used to land,
Hard on the side of my head.
I just learned to stay out of his way.
There's been streetfights, blue lights,
Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
It just showed me how much I could take.
Hard times, bad luck.
Sometimes, life sucks.
That's all right, I'm ok.
It ain't nothin' but another day.

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Couldn't they have found the blood trail leading back to his land??[:(][xx(]

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    they did but took the deer anyways

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's just cold, plain and simple. Also if he took it with an arrow it is pretty easy for DNR or a vet to tell the difference from a gunshot or an arrow.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a crock to me. If he got it the day before how could they do anything about it. He woulda had to tag it within 24 hours right?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    In Illinois you get 48hr. with a bow.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's some bull. I'd be fighting some people like with fists and lawyers till I got what I thought was worth that buck! Some people are reallyu ignorant in this world[:(!]
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the a bow season in Illinois the day before rifle season???? Perhaps he shot the buck out of season.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    There's a lot more to this story, and I should probably be careful what I say. This happened just a town away, and I know a conservation officer who is very acquanted with this case. My understanding is that this guy was not on his own land. He had permission to hunt the land he was on, but I've heard this man will walk onto other people. He trespassed on a man's land that had told him to stay off of it to retrieve his buck. My understanding is that a whole lot of people think that this guy finds bucks at night in a truck, and hunts them in the morning. I don't know if this is true or not, but that is the way the most successful buckhunters operate--whether or not it is ethical is an argument in itself; however, it may rub some landowners the wrong way.

But really, the bottom line is, he did not have permission to go on that man's land. The law says that the man was required to ask permission to get his buck off of the landowners property. I will be very suprised if the hunter gets it back.

Oh and guys....I've seen pictures of this deer. It is beyond phenomenal. Mark my words: You will be reading about it in your hunting magazines very very soon. Whether the guy gets it back or not, was right or wrong...I look forward to hearing about his hunt.

Oh and also, there is supposedly already a bidding war on this rack. It is sounding like its value is going to far exceed anything to date.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."

Salzo: There is no rifle season in Illinois--just bow and shotgun/muzz/pistol
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If it is that big then I woulda took it from him to. Is he a big guy Ben? [:D][;)]

I know the law says you cannot go on someones land without permission but what about this?
    About 10 years ago I was bow hunting a property that I thought had major deer activity, well it ended up the farm across the rode had all the deer. This farm was near 200 acres and owned by two old woman, the woman had lived there their entire lives, and the farm house was not much to right home about. Surprised me they lived there, I picked them up a few times walking from town carring their groceries home, it's probably 8 or 10 miles from town. Anyway, they both told me no I couldn't have permission. That's fine, I never picked them up again, just kidding [:D] I still gave them rides.
    I continued to hunt across the rode, one morning a decent size buck comes through I throw a little majic out his way and he runs down the hollow, crosses the rode, and heads up into their open field. I watched him crest the top of the hill and it appeared he layed down but I wasn't sure. I walked out got my truck and headed to town for some rest and a change of clothes. Went back out a couple hours later and drove to those ladies house. I told them what happened and asked if I could go look for the deer. Nope. I asked if they would go with me in case they didn't want me up there alone. Nope. I asked if there was anything I could do because I did not want that deer to go to waste up there. Nope. I tried all I could think of, but they wouldn't budge so I left. The next weekend I told the landowner I was hunting on what happened, he laughed and told me I gave them a deer. He saw those ladies take their horse and wagon up in that very same field that very same day after my truck left their farm. No doubt I would have given them any or all the meat they wanted, but I was still a little po'd at the way they went about it.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    See who say's always tell the truth.[B)] The guy should have said he shot it in another county.[}:)] I'm sure if he has done nothing wrong he would be putting up a major fight even going to the news paper. especially if there were no posters deviding the land. Only he know's what really happened. HEY we can put this on true or false[:D][:D]
  • Options
    BigEdBigEd Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this was a yearling doe being discussed noone would care...except the landowners. I farm about 2000 acres and every year I have to run someone off who thinks it's public hunting area. When someone comes onto your property to take something that doesn't belong to them (deer on my property are my deer) they establish themselves as thieves, at least in the mind of the landowner/tenant. The landowner is not going to help the thieves. When all is said and done, the landowner is left feeling ripped off. Ben is right about the bottom line being the trespass and about landowners being rubbed the wrong way. I hope the landowner gets the trophy awarded to him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a difference of opinion. After an animal is wounded I believe the hunter that shot that animal has the right and responsibility to persue it. Animals have no boundries. "You do not own deer"[:0] they are wild animals and belong to no-0ne. even if they occationaly habitat your land. How can you be so arrogant to say the deer belong to you? what are you GoD? I can't believe how greedy people have become for "trophy" If I diden't shoot it its not mine.I've been to many places, and not all but plenty of illegle killing by the landownwers and farmers themselves.If it were a doe no-one would give two snots. It's all about money , sorry but it sickens me. [V]I hope that deer dissapears from whereever or who ever has it never too be seen again.[xx(] GEE MR landowner I just shot a 200 class buck may I go on to your property to retrieve him. No! You stay off my property you blank#$$%^%$#@##^%%. GEE Mr. land owner I just arrowed a small doe can I go on your property to retrieve it. Go right ahead. How is this fair? guess what it's not and the law should be changed. Im not talking about shooting a deer on property that you do not have permission to hunt on thats wrong.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well buckey to refute one of your understandings then further infuriate you, then offer back your own judgement: The man was not welcome on this man's land AT ALL. In fact, I believe he was explicitly informed to stay off of it. Also, you are right, the landowner said that basically the meat could rot--he just wanted the horns. And lastly, The State could end up keeping the deer and both of the men could be SOL.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll jump into this argument. [:D]
    People don't own deer, but they can own the trees, crops, and whatever else THEIR land produces, if a deer dies on their property I'd say it's theirs. Keep in mind that most landowners I know would let you retrieve a deer from their property that you shot and it went on their land to die.
    The amount of trouble land owners have to go through with dealing with people who trespass/hunt without permission is ridiculous. I think landowners have the right to protect their land with force. Bet people would start checking land maps and knowing where they are at then.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    I used to have a house with a large parcel that backed up to a hunting club. The guys would run deer right up to my house. I have kids and had horses out there. They could have easily shot my kids or my horses. I used to keep bright blankets on the horses during hunting season due to some close calls of bullets in the barn walls. My opinion keep your * off my property. You take a chance when you hunt. You take chances that you may shoot and never be able to recover the deer. If you are not allowed to cross the property lines well then hunt further from the line and dont shoot unless you have a clear deadly shot. I had so many problems with people not respecting my property that I would have acted the same way as the landowner did. Maybe it will be the thing to finally get the hunters attention to stay off his property. Bottom line is he owns the property and is the ONLY one with the right to anything on that property. Tough Sh$# to the hunter on this one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought that one statement might get some responses! Technically, the state owns the wildlife. Now that's just a nice way of saying that I get to pay for their feed and water most of the year. When a buck sheds his antlers in the early spring he leaves them lay on my property...then my combine rolls over one of those antlers just right and pokes a hole in it. Retail combine tires are about $1500 each plus installation, etc. The state doesn't seem to think that belongs to them though....it's my problem. See how this works? When there is something of VALUE to be had on my side of the fence it becomes someone's right and responsibility to retrieve it. When its work to be done (like fixing the fences) it's left to the landowner or the tenant. Now I'm one heck of a nice guy and I hunt too so I know the risks of wounding an animal and have it travel a ways but I never cross a fence without permission. Buckeyboy, sounds like you have ethics and you can hunt on my property anytime...after I get mine that is!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's a question. Look at this question from your perspective, not that of others. You own 100 acres, for the past 5 years you have brought food plots together, managed your deer, harvested selectively, and finally have good mature 3+year old deer running around. You hunt for an entire season for one particular buck that has you are wound up with excitement. At the end of the season neighbor Buckey ([:D]) who hunts two or three times a year heads out for gun season and caps your deer! The runs over to your property and dies. Do you let Buckey go get his deer when he comes to ask you permission or do you tell him to hit the rode?

Myself, I'd let Buckey go get it, but I'd make sure he knew how I felt and what all I put into that deer.
    PS: the names were totally random
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, If I offended anyone.[B)] My understanding was this man shot a deer on a peice of land he had permission to hunt on. the wounded animal then ran onto a farmers land that he did not have permission to hunt on. is this correct? I'm Now a little confused to exactaly what happened? It would have made a great difference in my answer. I do know in my state if you wound a deer and a landowner won't let you retrieve it our DEM will escourt you onto his land to retrieve your animal. I believe this is fair. Nobody knows how far or witch way a deer is going to run when it'*.[?] On the other hand if he was told to stay off this farmers land, and he shot the deer on his land. I not only think he should lose the deer but should also be prosicuted for tresspassing[:(!] and in that case the farmer should take posession of the deer . Need to have all the fact before making a decision sounds like a lot of hear-say and no-one really knows for sure what happened.[:I] also I would like to add that I still get the feeling that people who plant food plots and feed deer think they own them. or that animal should have been harvested only by them. I appriciate the time effort and expense that it takes to food plot ect. but that still does not make you the owner of that free roaming wild-wild animal. I feel that farmers that feel that strongly about it. high fence your land. If thats legal, I guess it depends on how much trouble with tresspassers you have everyones opinion will vary depending on their location. Just ask Vang who shot all those people for what a deer[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Buckey, what's a DEM and why do they have the right to go onto someone's land?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Department of Enviornmental Management. They have all juristiction when it comes to hunting Fishing and trapping. They carry guns and have all the power of the police, only they don't need a warrant[:0] they can come on to your land any time they feel it is necessary.Mind you this is a small state and this would most likely not be possible where you folks live. It has it's pro's and cons.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, now I understand.
    Thanks Buckey

They carry guns huh, how cool would that be...[:D] I think I wanta be a DEM and go onto anyones land and hunt all I want and fish all I want, oops, am I getting carried away again? [:D][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was joking about owning deer the other day....but check out in General Discussion about the "MILLION DOLLAR DEER" post....you really can own deer! I want one....no no two!
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    There is a popular bumper sticker here in Ga... "welcome to Georgia owned and operated by the DNR". Those guys can go anywhere and check anything they like.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Same thing Gagirl. Only we call em DEM. They can do just about anything they want with no court order no warrant and almost just on a hunch. SCARY[B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BigEd
    I was joking about owning deer the other day....but check out in General Discussion about the "MILLION DOLLAR DEER" post....you really can own deer! I want one....no no two!

I've always felt I should ind a deer farm to hunt at, what better place could there be? [:D] That thing was pretty ugly, it's rack was more deformed than anything. Musta had a buncha steroids shot to him if he was only like 4 years old, don't ya figure?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The last deer I called ugly Fishermanben said was worth 50G or so. I had to rethink my definition of ugly. A rack worth a million is a thing of beauty no matter how ugly it is.

What exactly is the purpose of a deer farm anyway?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D] ugly's ugly's in my book.

Deer farms raise deer to sell mainly to hunting outfits I believe. I need one that will let me hunt their property. [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    UPDATE

He got his deer back w/ a $500 fine for trespassing.

Ben
  • Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow Ben thanks for the update!

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So the guy proved he did nothing wrong besides trespassing?
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all the guy would have had to do in the first place is call a DNR officer and get him out there to retreive the deer with him, there would have never been any questions asked. Problem solved

Buckley, I would let the guy get his deer.