In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bow

mansonmanson Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
I am looking for a new bow for next year so I was just wandering whats good these days. I'm tired of my 65lbs let off I was like 85 or somthing around there so I dont know if you guys can help me out that would be great.
-manson

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking at a Hoyt havotec zr 200, 1992 model. Does anyone know anything about this bow or the pricing of it. Comes with limbsavers, silencers, stabilizers and more.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only suggest one "Mathews"
  • Options
    excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mathews is a good bow, but I think that they are over priced. I would suggest a martin, Parker or a mcpherson. Most of the bows on the market today are very good and ask plenty of questions when you visit your proshop. good luck..

excalibur
  • Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It all depends on what you are looking for. I shoot a Mcpherson Hornet, it has 85% let off it's not the fastest bow but it's extremely smooth and quiet shooting. Your best bet is to go an archery shop that lets you shoot before you buy, that is what I did,it only took one shot after I picked up the Mcpherson to know that was the bow that fit me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well I am looking for a bow that dont make alot of noise but I need it to be fast because the bow I got now wont even go threw a deer. cause I shot one in the lungs at 15 yards and it didnt go all the way threw. and I got it all the way up. I think I need new axles. would it be better to just buy new ones or a new bow cause my bow now only has 55% let off and theres like no diffrence between the breaking point.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you have your bow up to at a minimum of 55 LBs and it did not go through a lung shot, then your broadhead had to have been dull, even if it hit a rib. Broadheads get dull easily, just taking it in and out of a quiver without having it covered will make it dull enough not to work like they are supposed to.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Hoyt Hoyt Hoyt actually any bow you but now will be good, try them all out till ya find the one ya like

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I have been tossing the idea around of buying a new bow before next season. I have become interested in the Parker's so far. I've mostly just been reading up on them and haven't shot any yet though.
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did the "new" bow search from July through September last year , boy is there alot of really neat bows on the market . I tested a bunch of them and narrowed down a few to the ones that felt good to me, Mathews were pricey , Hoyt has some really nice ones as does Renegade . I shot several at a local Proshop and decided on a Mcpherson , The one thing I remember alot of experienced archers telling me was that the majority of all new bows were really close in comparison and that personal preference was the major deciding factor .When you visit an archery shop see if they will let you shoot a few of them , the one I went to let me shoot any that I wanted and this really helped me out in my decision . Good luck on your endeavor , being it was my first new bow it was kinda like buying a new car .
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High Country. I switched to a High Country Carbon 4 Runner 4 years ago now. I have yet to shoot a bow that comes close to it's preformance. I tried the Mathews bows, back then sq-2 I think that was what it was called, did not come close to ease of shooting, speed or smoothness, very quite also.
    I intend to shoot this bow until the wheels fall off of it. My second choise would be the new Buck Master G2 by Jennings. For the money you can't beat it.

Hornet
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where you been Hornet? It's about time I get some HCA support around here. I bought my Carbon 4-Runner in '01 and it still smokes them all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thats great. thanks for all the help you guys. I dont know what its like to buy a new car yet cause I'm only 18 but I know what it feels like to buy a new gun. I just bought a new .22 in october when I was still 17. my mom bought it for me but I paid for it. so I dont know yet. I have yet to go look for a bow because I have been working really crappy hours and there is no sport shops out here where I live but walmart and there sport sextion sucks major *. so I dont know yet.
  • Options
    turkeygod1turkeygod1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go ahead and spend the extra money for a Mathews. Had a friend who purchased the newest greatest Hoyt of 2004. He came over and we shot together. Right off you could tell a difference when the string was released. The Mathews was noticeably quiter. He shot my Q2 and was very impressed. Shooting the bow for the first time he was able to stack the arrows. Unlike with his Hoyt. Since then he has been begging me to sell it to him. I've shot alot of different bows but have never found a bow to live up to the name that a Mathews does. Plus, how many 3 year old bows do you see selling for $400? Not many.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    This is my third Mathews [:)] I understand everyone cannot afford to pay they are pricy. However it's like everthing else you usually get what you pay for. Besides paying a couple to a few hundred more divided over the coarse of 3-5 years, comes out to $300.00 devided by 5 years= $60 per year devided by 52 weeks.= One dollar and fifty two cents per week. to have the best.[?]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

This is my third Mathews [:)] I understand everyone cannot afford to pay they are pricy. However it's like everthing else you usually get what you pay for. Besides paying a couple to a few hundred more divided over the coarse of 3-5 years, comes out to $300.00 devided by 5 years= $60 per year devided by 52 weeks.= One dollar and fifty two cents per week. to have the best.[?]

That's it Buckey. You sold me. As soon as I recieve your bow I'll start making my weekly payments.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Cub's preseason is less than one month away.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bennyboy I'ma gonna havt'a spank your little bottom if'n ya keep this up.[:D] better yet I will get Gogolen on you.now he's a hardcore Mathews man.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bennyboy I'ma gonna havt'a spank your little bottom if'n ya keep this up.[:D] better yet I will get Gogolen on you.now he's a hardcore Mathews man. I just realized I spelled divided wrong three times in the first post[:I]
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bennyboy I'ma gonna havt'a spank your little bottom if'n ya keep this up.[:D] better yet I will get Gogolen on you.now he's a hardcore Mathews man. I just realized I spelled divided wrong three times in the first post[:I]

I'm going to have to go wash out my brain[xx(] the mental picture I just had OMG!!!!!!![:D][:D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bennyboy I'ma gonna havt'a spank your little bottom if'n ya keep this up.[:D] better yet I will get Gogolen on you.now he's a hardcore Mathews man.

Okay first of all, it's kind of odd that you use Bennyboy and spank in the first sentence--Not that it's all that rare, it's just that my favorite girl calls me that--I've been wanting to wrestle with her for a couple of years now, and if I ever do get spanked--this post will no doubt go through my head.[xx(] You may have just ruined that for me, forever.[}:)] Either that or added alot of extra time to my stamina.[8D] I'll either thank you later, or have my revenge.[:)][:(!] Only time will tell.

Also, enlisting your boy gogolen on me??? Well it's a good thing my name's not Mathew, and I've never been in any 'hardcore'. I did do a brief softcore stint on Skinamax, but apparantly I wasn't really supposed to 'have sex'. Farewell to realism, I guess. [8D]

BennyBoy

P.S. GG, sorry you got dragged into this.[:D]
    logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    [:0][:0]
    Somebody hurry and start a new thread, this is getting gross!
    None of these sick mental images better go through my head
    tonight or my wife will be ticked off at you two. [B)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll send you my therapy bill!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry guys. I'm kind of hungover this morning, and I just re-read this. I think I'm going to be ill.

Martes, where have you been, man?

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All over the place, I was on a snowtracking course a week and a 'alf ago, saw some real nice wolf tracks and followed the tracks of a injured whitetail deer being followed by two lynx when we found the carcass and followed the tracks to the begining we concluded that the deer had ben hit by car in the right backleg and had been slowly run down by the cats. I've also been doing a lot of lab work: neurology on cochroaches and respitory work on rats and mice. How's life on your side?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    same old--same old over here. No rats, mice, or cockroaches to speak of, but the year is young. Good to hear from you.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Boy this thread sure took an odd turn....

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Killed a RAT this morning!!!! True story! Been seeing one at work, Took care of him with a shovel! The ladies were very thankful!![:D]

Not that thankful. Get your mind out of there Susp![;)]

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since ya told Susp to get his mind outta there i'll put mine there[:D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    furhollerfurholler Member Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PSFD DONKEY
    It all depends on what you are looking for. I shoot a Mcpherson Hornet, it has 85% let off it's not the fastest bow but it's extremely smooth and quiet shooting. Your best bet is to go an archery shop that lets you shoot before you buy, that is what I did,it only took one shot after I picked up the Mcpherson to know that was the bow that fit me.

I agree, find a shop that will let you shoot. When I bought my PSE 8 years ago the shop let me shoot it. Then I shot a Golden eagle, then a Hoyt, then another, then the PSE again, then another, then the PSE. I bought the PSE because of the way it felt in my hand. I'm not suggesting PSE, however just shoot and see what fits and feels the best. Get a bow that is right for you, not what is right for everyone else. You have to be comfortable with it. It could be the difference in loving or sorta liking bow hunting. There are a lot of fine companies out there and you don't have to spend a fortune.

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains...No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue: and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles."-Patrick Henry