In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What broadheads do you use?

shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
My Dad and I are looking for new broadheads as are supply as ran out. We have been using a 5 blade broadhead, but as they have not been made for a couple of years, can't remember the name at the top of my head.

Anyways, what broadhead are you guys using for deer?

Are local bow shop closed down last year after 25 years, and without seeing something and feeling something, neither one of us know what to get.

Comments

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I have shot muzzys and expandable both kill deer. I shoot rocket now and they havnt failed me yet.

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot Thunderhead 100 grain for years and get great results from them.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This year I tried some cheap broadheads. Used Allens and killed a doe and a yote and did great! I then bought some Sattelites(sp)4 blade with chisel tip and killed a doe and left a good hole and am very happy with them and will continue to use them until they prove different! The most important thing on any broadhead is to keep them VERY SHARP!

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I was shooting Hornet 100 gr. fixed blade, Now I am shooting Rocket mechanical 100gr. Like them both.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grim Reaper mechanicals...field point accuracy, outstanding durability. If I were going to go back to a fixed blade broadhead I believe I'd have to go with the G5 Montec one-piece head that is milled from a solid piece of stainless steel.
  • PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my 4-blade Muzzy. My wife shot her first buck with them, the arrow went through a rib and was almost a passtrough. By the way she only shoots 37 lbs.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    if u check wally world after hunting season they usally have muzzys on sale for 5 bucks a pack

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    My name's Ben and I'm a thunderheadaholic. I startet out with 85gr and now find myself shooting the 100gr routinely. I see no end in sight.

I'm with taco--they do the job

Those montecs are nice heads though, I've resharpened quite a few of them for my buddy.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Cub's preseason is less than one month away.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I bought these, off gunbroker last week, to try. Anyone heard of them?
    Game Tracker Terminator serrated broadheads, model 1130, 125 grain, 3 blade

http://nas2.gbhinc.com/GB/027644000/27644328/pix1909913500.jpg

I believe I have muzzy or else satelites in my quiver now.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I've never seen them before, Susp. Serrated broad heads are illegal in Illinois.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Cub's preseason is less than one month away.
    edited November -1
    Really Ben, I had never heard of that. I also have not seen too many blades like that! Sure do like the look though!

edited November -1
    Thanks Ben. Guess I better double checl Ohio laws before I head out and get arrested for something silly huh. [:)]

Enos, I'll let you know how they work out.
    edited November -1
    Hey Susp that would be great! Then I can let you know how dissapointed I am for not being able to use them![:(][:(][:D]

• taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    I bought these, off gunbroker last week, to try. Anyone heard of them?
    Game Tracker Terminator serrated broadheads, model 1130, 125 grain, 3 blade

http://nas2.gbhinc.com/GB/027644000/27644328/pix1909913500.jpg

I believe I have muzzy or else satelites in my quiver now.

Wally world sells that brand of broadhead, I bought the regular ones to shoot at other things and not mess up my good broadheads, plus they were like 6 bucks for 3. I used one on a yote 2 years ago and broke all 3 blades.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I don't think I'd trust the Gametrackers on a trophy buck. I bought some years ago when I got into archery hunting and the quality of them was less than desirable. Don't know about now. I actually just through those old heads away when I was cleaning out some obsolete archery junk.
    edited November -1
    Good info, thanks guys! Guess since I got two packs I'll shoot a couple at targets and see how they hold up.

Enos, maybe I should send you my second pack so your not disappointed anymore. [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried a couple different and have settled on the muzzy 4 blade 100gr. I have been looking at the rockets and will probably give them a try over the summer .
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Thunderhead 100gr. do the trick for me.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SteelForce 100gr fixed 2 blade heads. Used them on 2 Canadian bear hunts. Droped the first one , 300# plus less than 75 yards. Passed through the bear and went through the bait drum and dented the far side, almost came out 25 yard shot. Second one, 175#, 15 yards at the most. Both shots went completly through.
    Several more deer and exotics have expired with these broadheads. I have made shots from 10 feet to 45 yards, no flight problems. My hunting partner shot a red stag with this same broadhead and it was a complete pass through also. The stag only went about 10 yards.

Hornet
  • furhollerfurholler Member Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    muzzy 100 gr. I also have satelites. I like broadheads with bone busters. My muzzies have broken some bones.

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains...No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue: and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles."-Patrick Henry