In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Please help

ilgirlilgirl Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
I need help getting started into archery, can any of you tell me where to start?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Is there anyone here? Or just no help to the new girl? I don't know mcuh, but want to learn.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    easy there ilgirl! This forum doesn't get the traffic as the general, but it's way better. [;)]

How about we start with a welcome to the forum![:)] Then lead into a wise crack about you starting off by buying a bow to get into archery.[;)] Then you tell us more about what exactly your wanting. Going to a local pro shop and getting setup with a bow would be the very first thing to do, if you haven't already.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Knock it off Supsension, it is another * the forum!

Following what Supsension has said. What are you going to do? Since this is going to be your first bow, I would recommend not going out and buying every little thing that you think you may need as you may not like archery. No sense in spending money on things you would only need if you actually liked it.

So I too, would recommend going to a bow shop. The reason for this is you need to get measured and fit to a bow. At the bow shop the will measure your arm length so you can get the correct draw length. Draw length is the distance that the bow string pulls back from the handle of the bow. It is crucial to get the correct distance. This distance is usually the same length that you will get your arrows sized to. Depending on your size, you should be able to find a larger youth bow that will fit you. This is the way I would go if I wanted to purchase a bow for my fiance. Usually youth bows are a little cheaper then adult bows, which is good since you are just beginning. You are probably better off purchasing a package deal with everything you need. The package deals come with a rest, stablizer, quiver, and regular sites. If you shoot enough, you will want to get better accessories, but to begin with and learning a package deal will be great for you. Back to the arrows. The length of your draw will be the size that you get arrows. I have a 31 inch draw, so I get 31 inch arrows for practice. For arrows I put broadheads on I get 32 inch arrows because I have a stick rest and like to keep my index finger away from the broadhead, that is just my preference. If I had a different rest, I probably would only have 31 inch arrows. Easton makes excellent arrow IMO, the material that you get is up to you, but carbon arrows are more expensive. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

That is some of the basics.

Glad to see someone else getting into the sport. It is an excellent hobby and cheaper then many hobbies out there.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome aboard ilgirl, stick around we grow on ya[:D] I take it you're from Il? If ya are give us a county and i'm sure one of us can help direct you to a good archery shop. Never be afraid to ask a question just because it might sound silly (happens here alot).

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    Knock it off Supsension, it is another * the forum!

[}:)][:D][;)]
    I was teasing, surely she could realize that. Besides she took off within a few minutes of her reply, must not have been to worried about getting her question answered.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum ilgirl. I am going to agree with the others. A shop can get you set up nicely. However I must warn you .......it is addictive[:D].

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    These guys in here helped me start and they are a wonderful, albeit psychotic, bunch.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum. Stick around. We're a pretty fun group.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Cub's preseason is less than one month away.
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are quite a few books on the subject. Reading up on it first might help and answer some of your questions and give you a better understanding of what it's all about... I'm not trying to chase you away, just trying to help...It is a very addicting sport...Good-Luck,

Ruric, NE OHIO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Susp. I think you scared her off already. Way to go[}:)][;)]. Hopefully she'll be back, gagirl is kinda out numbered.

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Susp. I think you scared her off already.

[:D][:D][:D]
    No kidding. Tell us again how you got that hot wife again, Cassanova.

Ben[:p]

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well now, I see a few finally decided to acknowledge my question. Guess I need to learn the role here when the time to post is.

thanks to all for the input. Sounds like I should go to one of those pro shops and start there since I have not done anything so far. Is this going to be a $$ ordeal?
    No need to bag on susp. He didn't scare me off, he kinda brought me back. I liked his smart * remarks, plus I've been reading some of the old messages trying to get more information and he isn't to hard on the eyes either.

I have to admit one thing, i kinda stole the user name idea from gagirl (big surprise hu), hope that's okay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:he isn't to hard on the eyes either.

Now his head will never fit thru the door [:(][;)]

quote:Is this going to be a $$ ordeal?

Can be, I know some people have more than $1000 wrapped up in there equipment. It doesn't need to be that way though. My first bow only cost me $150, then I found out how much I liked it and upgraded to a better bow I only have about $400. or so in it. I think you will really enjoy archery. He!! I probably see ya at the archery addicts meetings before long[:D].

• Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well everyone should know he used an actor for that pic!!![:D][:D][:D][:o)]

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Someone said somthing about head swelling[:)]

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ilgirl
    Well now, I see a few finally decided to acknowledge my question. Guess I need to learn the role here when the time to post is.

thanks to all for the input. Sounds like I should go to one of those pro shops and start there since I have not done anything so far. Is this going to be a $$ ordeal?
    No need to bag on susp. He didn't scare me off, he kinda brought me back. I liked his smart * remarks, plus I've been reading some of the old messages trying to get more information and he isn't to hard on the eyes either.

I have to admit one thing, i kinda stole the user name idea from gagirl (big surprise hu), hope that's okay.

[:I] golly gee, thanks [:X] I have to tell you up front that I'm married and I don't do things on the first date, unless your hot. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Susp. you lucky guy!!! My wife told me I couldn't date anymore[:(]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ilgirl...its ok about the name. Good to have another female here. Although being outnumbered by a group of hotties is not a bad thing at all.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Susp. you lucky guy!!! My wife told me I couldn't date anymore[:(]

Now that is strange.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Susp. I did some investigation. ilgirl is actually a man pretending to be a woman so he can get close to you.[:0] IF anyone knows this not to be true let me know otherwise Im gonna need to see some photos.[:0][B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Susp. I did some investigation. ilgirl is actually a man pretending to be a woman so he can get close to you.[:0] IF anyone knows this not to be true let me know otherwise Im gonna need to see some photos.[:0][B)]

[:0][:0][}:)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Don't worry susp, it's on for the first date. Rumor has it, He's Hot!!![:D][:p]

Ben

sorry, ilgirl, this is what happens to the new kid. Stick around, and soon, you'll get to do the same.

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need pictures or it's a man[:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need pictures or it's a man[:D][:D] oop's twice[B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ilgirl best thing is just to post a pic. That way they get the lust out of their system.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well Ben, since you heard the rumor about "he" being hot, maybe we should double. Least for the first date anyway. [:D]

Buckeyboy you better slack off or you'll end up getting your * kicked my ilgirl. [;)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    light bulb!
    Hey ilgirl, if you post a picture we can help determine the bow you need and what would be a good price range to start off in.
    ps: the back side muscles play part in archery shooting.

[8D]
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    Well Ben, since you heard the rumor about "he" being hot, maybe we should double. Least for the first date anyway. [:D]

Buckeyboy you better slack off or you'll end up getting your * kicked my ilgirl. [;)]

Maybe ilgirl is really buckey in drag[:D][:D] Just kiddin bro..I just love pot stirring[8D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not even gettin' in on this one....not yet anyway.[:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    See I told ya. ILman is not a girl , You all need to thank me for scaring him off.[:D][:D]