In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crossbow ?

ndeltagunsndeltaguns Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
It looks like my state (MS) might just allow crossbows during archery season next year. I am wondering what is the best brand out there? I have not had any experience with crossbows at all. Do you get any more range than with a compound bow? Thanks for the help.

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Comments

• Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I hear tell the ten point crossbows are good, but Horton is a very common name and I have always heard good things about them.
    I always felt a crossbow provided less range than a compound, they may be more accurate at closer distances though.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad has a Horton and he loves it. Like Susp said tho, i've noticed that a crossbow is less accurate outside of 30 yards.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of people say the Ten points are the best crossbows. I think the excalibur is something to consider-they dont have wheels, but when using a cocking aid, I dont think having a compound really matters.
    I have a Fred Bear Buckmaster-I am happy with it, though I couldnt say what is the "best", because my only experience is with MY crossbow.

As far as the range is concerned- I know people who practice religiously with a crossbow can hit an X ring at 65+ yards. But from what I hear, the energy drops significantly, more so than on a traditional compound. Also, the crossbow is very noisy, even the quiet ones-I would be very concerned about taking long shots, due to the deer jumping the string. I think I read that a deer hears the string snap when the bolt is a third of the way there. At twenty five yards and under, I think it is safe to say by the time the deer reacts to the sound, its too late. But beyonnd twenty five, I personally would be concerned about the deer jumping the string-couple that with massive energy loss, I just assume keep my crossbow shots to twenty five yards and less.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo

As far as the range is concerned- I know people who practice religiously with a crossbow can hit an X ring at 65+ yards. But from what I hear, the energy drops significantly, more so than on a traditional compound.

Wow, 65 yards. My buddies that use crossbows better start practicing more cause they are all over the place after 30 yards. I agree, I could jumping being an issue with the noise they make.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    ndeltagunsndeltaguns Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys.

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
  • Options
    ilgirlilgirl Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is a crossbow easier to handle than a regular bow? Whats the pro's/con's?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ilgirl
    Is a crossbow easier to handle than a regular bow? Whats the pro's/con's?

I definately think a crossbow is easier than a regular bow.
    I practiced once a week with a crossbow, and couldnt shoot at the same target because I would robin hood the bolts. Once a week and I felt completely confident taking a shot at a deer in range.
    With a regular bow, I hAve to shoot it every day (just about) in order to have the confidence to shoot a deer.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    ilgirlilgirl Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    shoot a bow once a day or shoot a crossbow once a week, guess I'll need to look into crossbow then. I did not realize it took that much dedication.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ilgirl, crossbow are illegal in Il to hunt with unless you have a doctors slip/medical condition to shoot one.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ilgirl- Just want to point out that my practice routine is not the "norm". Everyone is different, everyone has different practice needs and routines. Some people take there bow out a week before deer season and thats enoug practice. For me, once August rolls around, I am shooting at least three arrows a day-usually more, but 3 is the minimum.
    I usually take the winter off, and resume practice in March/ April.
    I dont know if you are choosing one or the other, but if your decuision is based on what is "easier" than the crossbow is what you want. But if you asked me which is more fun, which is more rewarding-not even close, the regular bow. I put my time into my bow not so much because I have to, but because I want to. It takes time and dedication, but it is very enjoyable.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    RevivalRevival Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    salzo nailed the answer in my opinion.

Keep it close in. All of the maufacturers make a decent bow, if you are looking for the best lean to Ten Point, otherwise Excaliber or Parker.

Brad
    a.k.a. Revival
    http://jermanbuck.com