In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hunt over bait?

DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
How many of you guys/girls hunt over {bait}? food put out by yourself {corn,apples etc..}. And if you don't, Do you use a sex-lure? or do you use both? Or niether? I know some people are totally against using food, claiming that that is "un-sportsmanlike" but they will use a sex lure and say that its okay!...That always confuses me!!!.... I use both...

Ruric, NE OHIO

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have put out corn and salt/malassas blocks or rubs. You can actually make a great licking spot in about two/three years that will last several years with little maintenance. Find a nice wet spot in the woods, something like a mud hole that is on a trail. Take the top layer off (about an inch) and put in a pile. Then take and spread malassas and salt or blocks broken into smaller parts. Take some water in a bucket with you to the woods. Mix the salt and malassas with the water and put it into the spot where you took the top layer of soil off. Mix up good, then sprinkle your pile of soil over the spot and mix in. Only use about half the dirt in the pile, spread the rest out somewhere else. One key to this is not to touch the salt or malassas. Do this in the spring, and you will have plenty of deer coming to it in the fall. A friend of mine has a spot that is about 6 years old, and deer still come to it. I made two spots roughly three to four years ago. One was very succesful, the other had mixed success. The reason I believe is that the spot is too dry during the summer months and dries up. I think the main key is finding a spot that will stay damp, but not get too wet to were water stands in it, that would just wash all the stuff away.

They sell something like this to make in stores, but I 50 lb bag of mallasas and salt cost about 5 bucks each, and will last for several years.
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Baiting in Illinois is illegal! as of now can't even put out salt/mineral blocks. We can though plant food plots.

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    To each his own, Im not going to critizize a person for how they hunt if it is ethical and not breaking the law. I have put out food in the winter to help the deer and tukeys, If i had more money I would plant food plots. these are a no go in my state but I can see how it is any different than hunting over a picked corn field or an alfalfa field they are all the same in my eyes.

I have talked to people that hunt in the south west teaxas area and they say the only way they can hunt that area is if they put out feeders. Before deer season there spoting goods stores sell shelled corn by the sack so hunters can buy it

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I plant food plots with corn, soy beans, clover, apple trees and alphafa (sp?). I don't hunt over the plots, but do hunt trails leading to/from them. I use sex lure scents, grunt (some), rattle (some), mostly use cover scents though. Salt blocks I just sit throughout the areas I hunt, I never hunt by them on intention, just leave them out for nutrition.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I've never tryed food, but use a lot of sexual attractant.....wait we're talking about hunting aren't we. [:I] oops

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt over bait usually carrots or apples. I start baiting my spots in august. I know there are purists out there that feel hunting over bait is unethical, but I don't care. It holds the deer in position for me to make a cleaner kill in a place of my choosing with no obstructions plain and simple.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few food plots on property in So. Il. as for where I bow hunt I have corn on 3 sides of me.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
    edited November -1
    gogolen, carrots? Never heard of that one before. They like em as much as apples?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • RevivalRevival Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gather a bucket of apples once they hit the ground and start to rot, then pour it out around the stand.

I have also place tose small mineral block out and they get blasted as well.

Brad
    a.k.a. Revival
    http://jermanbuck.com
    edited November -1
    I must agree that food plots do help.

Suspension
    Ohio Big Buck taker
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Suspension/ohiobigbuck.jpg
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    [:0]Nice deer susp. You sure you didn't give them some steriods?
    did you make the books?

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Susp,
    The deer love carrots they sell 'em by the #50 bag or by the scoop if you have a way to haul them around. You seriously never heard of carrots as bait before? Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    [:0]Nice deer susp. You sure you didn't give them some steriods?
    did you make the books?

Sure did. [^] I'm up for a few contests also. [:D] They might even put it in that show that travels around to various hunting expos.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoff14, Thanks for the "Recipe". I mainly use corn, but the deer only seem to eat it at night.I think most of it goes to the birds, squirrels and turkey's. I put out a total of 300lbs this season from Oct. to Jan. I tried some of the "Deer-Cane" close to the corn and only witnessed one button-buck ever tasting it. My son has had much better results with it than I have... As far as salt and mineral blocks go, I never see any tracks around them. I am carefull not to contaminate them. This is the first year I have ever baited also, I'm hoping that it becomes much better next year...

Ruric, NE OHIO