In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Turkey Hunting

AuggyAuggy Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
Anybody had any luck yet?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Doe's anyone turkey hunt,,, I never have but got the itch to keep hunting this year so I may give turkey a try with the bow... any body else???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are some recommendations for turkey hunting with a bow? Indiana has just now started a fall turkey season where you're allowed to use a bow for a longer period than firearms. How many #s do you recommend? Would a recurve be sufficient?
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that shoots recurve bows for turkey. He makes his own recurves and made one for turkey hunting. The draw wieght is about 50 pounds and has no problem killing turkeys.
  • Options
    furhollerfurholler Member Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only had a few "close encounters" and not actually gotten close enough to shoot a turkey with my bow. I look forward to this thread also.[:)]

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains...No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue: and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles."-Patrick Henry
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Number 1&2 recommendations, be still and be patient.
    If you have been shooting your recurve a lot and are proficient with it then yes, it should do the trick fine. Otherwise I would recommend either a older 50-60lb compound or a crossbow. When a Tom decides to stop in some brush, you draw on him, and he doesn't come out for a while then that compound will be your friend much more than a recurve will be [:D]. A cross bow doesn't require any drawing so they would be pretty sweet when sitting & calling, kinda bulky to pick up, but no more than a shotgun I'd guess.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I havent done it yet-might do it this year. I recently picked up a few of those turkey broad heads, called the "giollitine". Anyone try those?
    A friend of mine hunts them with a bow, and he sets up one of those mesh type blinds, and shoots right through the blind-says it does not affect arrow travel.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also hope to bag a tom with a bow this spring. I'm probobly going to either borrow corsshair's 50 pounder, or just use my crossbow, I think I can pull it off with a regular bow, but a few people I hunt with doubt I can do it.