In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Went hunting for sheds

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
Took the dog out looking for sheds this morning. Didn't find any, but we did find a dead doe. Looks like she crossed the highway then when she jumped the highway fence her leg came down right on top of the steel fence post. It was stuck in about 3/4 way down her thigh so she hung there and either died of starvation or else a coyote ate her. Sure seemed like a sad way to go.

Onto a better note, the new mexican nascar put me to sleep today, I missed everything after lap 8 [:0]. Those beers may have had a part to, but it was to boring.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    i have a good spot to look for um when the snow melts. their has been about 20 of them every night eating in this filed

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    that does sound like a good spot headzilla. Make sure you let us see some pictures of any realy big ones. [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Took the oldest boy out yesterday to get my blind and looked for sheds on the way in -n- out and didn't find any![V] Did find they are really tearing that tree line up though. It looks like a damn cattle trail through there now![:p]

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I noticed that a lot to Enos. I figured it was just from us having so much moisture on the ground lately. Then I thought it may be a trophy buck that I can get next year and start a website about it. [:D][:D][:D] (that was for bang!![:D])

• Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][}:)][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still have two bucks coming in with horns. Pretty late in the season, they should be coming off soon.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Well, I think now is the best time of the year to scout. The ground is saturated. You can locate bucks easier, because they're holding tight, and the deer are just not as jumpy as they are through the regular season.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Cub's preseason is on!!!
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    I noticed that a lot to Enos. I figured it was just from us having so much moisture on the ground lately. Then I thought it may be a trophy buck that I can get next year and start a website about it. [:D][:D][:D] (that was for bang!![:D])

too funny....you got me laughin' on that one!!!

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thought you might get a chuckle outa that. [:D]

• Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy I work with found a shed the other night that has a main beam of 28", a G2 that is 17", and a 9" brow tine with a total of 7 points...typical I believe. I asked him to bring it in so I can put a tape on it. He found it about 1/2 mile from where we work and right on the edge of the city limits.
    The area has produced true monster bucks for years, though rarely harvested but, is mostly off limits to hunting. Some of it is within the city limits. The guy lives in NC and knows a monster when he sees one as they don't see many true monsters where he hunts. I'm anxious to find out if he really knows what he's talking about. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lmbhngr
    He found it about 1/2 mile from where we work and right on the edge of the city limits.
    I'm anxious to find out if he really knows what he's talking about. [;)]

Sounds like you have a hot spot in the works. Good luck!
    One of the best places I have to hunt is right on the border of the city limits.

• Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't found or even seen a shed in the woods my whole hunting career, I look around when scouting for turkey season. Even keep an eye out during real late deer season, but the outcome is still the same. Where is the first place you guys look? (food plot, bedding area, dense wooded area)
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you know where a buck/s is feeding and sleeping and the travel corridor he's using to move between them then you should have a pretty fair chance of finding his sheds, I'd think.

A. Gun...if I remember correctly, you're down in southern OH in the hill country and I think those deer are tougher to hunt than the farm country deer, likewise shed hunting. Try the greenbrier thickets and clearcuts, haha. Been there. [xx(]
  • Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't feel bad A-Gun I've never found a shed either. Had a small buck in the winter wheat field last night still had both horns.

"IF THE AMERICAN FIREARMS INDUSTRY IS SUED INTO BANKRUPTCY, WHO WILL SUPPLY OUR SOLDIERS."- NRA VICTORY FUND
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look right around the wires stretched over the corn feeder.
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Got pictures a few years ago of a Buck with 3 points on one side.Not far from here, the middle of April.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found 3 this year, it's a little easier since i'm the only one that hunts the property and I usually keep an eye on where they're bedding and moving.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!