In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Food plots, cut down trees?

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
I know we've discussed this before, but I wanted to get some opinions on this idea I read in last months(i believe) American Hunter.
They suggested cutting trees and leaving them lay to start undergrowth vegetation if you didn't have the means or time to plant food plots. The plan was to do away with larger trees and allow more sunlight so ground vegetation could take off. Plus the tops and brush would give more cover for deer. Don't know about you, but I've never hunted any property where the landowner would allow this nor would I want to do this on my own land. Around here if you do that it would end up nothing more than a big cluster of multifloral rose bushes after a year maybe two. Plus I think it is a bad move to simply cut down trees in general. I'd much rather hunt big open woods and have a clean unobstructed shot compared to shooting between limbs and brush.
Whatcha think?

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with you there. But right now at home, there is so many trees and tops of trees gone from the ice storm two months ago, that you would not have to do this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We had some of that to shoff, not to bad though luckly.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    I know we've discussed this before, but I wanted to get some opinions on this idea I read in last months(i believe) American Hunter.
    They suggested cutting trees and leaving them lay to start undergrowth vegetation if you didn't have the means or time to plant food plots. Around here if you do that it would end up nothing more than a big cluster of multifloral rose bushes after a year maybe two.Whatcha think?

ooooo pretty flower bushes, i'd go for that[:D][:D][:D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    sifistosifisto Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt a stretch of private property where power lines cut through. Every ten years they do a clear cut through this area, where as it soon gets thick as hell. It's nice for the first two years. After that you cannot walk through it,shoot through it,nor see through it. Even from an elevated hight it would be difficult to get off a shot. Many smaller bucks make rubs in this area; mostly night activity.Much work involved if you wanted to plant a food plot, near impossible by me; too many bolders ,rocks, and debris. The only thing that may work would be chuffa for turkeys planted in clumps around the perimeter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hunt a stretch of private property where power lines cut through. Every ten years they do a clear cut through this area, where as it soon gets thick as hell. It's nice for the first two years. After that you cannot walk through it,shoot through it,nor see through it. Even from an elevated hight it would be difficult to get off a shot. Many smaller bucks make rubs in this area; mostly night activity.Much work involved if you wanted to plant a food plot, near impossible by me; too many bolders ,rocks, and debris. The only thing that may work would be chuffa for turkeys planted in clumps around the perimeter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    img128_2836.jpg]

Trying out this picture application, just seeing if it works. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Nice pic,, it worked very well. [;)]

Susp. I have ot agree with you, I would prefer the trees over rose bushes[:D] I have heard of food plots that work well with minimal light, in fact my brother inlaw did one right smack dab in the middle of the woods and worked great. I am going to plant some soon myself. I will let you know how it goes this fall..

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    mother nature made me a blow down last summer when a tornado came through and knocked down about 5 acres of hemlocks. the deer better be bedding in that stuff this fall

ohh by the way my neighbor had his wood lot logged 2 winters ago, and i havnt seen a deer up there that wasnt just passing through yet, but the place is loaded with rose bushes and other sharpo stuff that loves to cut me when i walk through it

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    el maestroel maestro Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey bang, what did your brother plant? I am curious because I have tried the same thing here in Indiana with very little success. Of course it could be that I am too cheap to buy the high dollar name brand seeds. I just go to the local Co-op and buy clover or whatever my crop for the year might be.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Not sure the exact name or blend but I will be finding out soon so I can plant some I will let you know. I know it was for low light areas. And knowing him probably did cost a bit more than the norm.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sifisto
    img128_2836.jpg]

Trying out this picture application, just seeing if it works. Wish me luck!

I can see the hidden collar and lead strap holding that Elk to the tree! [;)] Nice bull, from the picture I'm gonna say 15 yards..?? That's Cool!!
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Well, I'm against cutting down large trees to make scrub. However, I do think it would create good deer habitat.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Cub's preseason is on!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd like to know what your brother-in-law used to bang. I plant some plots of clover, corn, alfafa, pumkins, whatever is cheap [:D]. It does fairly good, but it is sorta a pain tilling and cutting out brush for a nice area. I tried that no till corn also and it puked for me.

Sounds like we all agree the american hunter article was el-sucka. Guess I'll drop them a note and try again to get in their dear editor column. [:D][:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We started thinning out the trees here a few weeks ago. We have only got about 1-1 1/2? acres done so far...We only leave the straight hardwood trees and all the apple and dogwoods. All the brush is piled and left for wildlife habitat. My thinking is that the straight trees will develope into valuable timber eventually{retirement fund}. Alot of them are Red Oaks, some White, Cherry, Maple and Beech, most of wich provide food for deer. I'd rather hunt over acorns than hunt in brush!...

Ruric, NE OHIO,