In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which Bow?

KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
Alright, I made the mistake of shooting a couple of new bows the other day (an Archery Research & a Parker) and I may just have the bug to buy a new one. But, dang there are a lot of bows out there. The parallel limbs/short bows look really cool and are obviously the latest & greatest - but everybody seems to be making one of those bows too.

Are the latest & greatest from PSE/AR/Browning, Parker, Martin and High Country just imitations of the kings (Mathews - Bowtech)? What do you give up by going with something besides Mathews/Bowtech?

If all the rest are 98% as good but cost half as much Mathews/Bowtech, are the cheaper ones a bargain?

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You forgot to mention Hoyt, which will give you the best for your buck if you want to spend $500. I am probably going to buy a bow this summer, and it will be a Hoyt. I have shot them, my father owns a competition Hoyt and even though it is five years old or so, still shoots wonderfully and shoots in the 200 fps range, which is plenty to kill a deer.

Well, there is a difference in both quality, speed, and quietness, and price. I have personally owned a PSE and browning bows, I can tell a difference when I shoot higher quality bows. Smoother, quieter, more let off. The problem with the cheaper bows that I see is they are harder to personalize. Meaning with the cheaper bows, you get a larger range of the size of user that can shoot the bow. This is what I see the main difference between Mathews (never shot one) and Hoyt compared to the other brands. You can personalize your bow, to fit you, and make it perfect for you as a shooter. With the larger range that the other bows create, it is harder IMO to get the bow tuned to the user. But with the correct professional you should be able to get any bow to work for you. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

If you are just starting out, I would probably start with PSE or parker. You just need to make sure that you get current technology, no sense in buying a new bow if it is not current to this years technology.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever you do find one that you are comfortable with. Don't let the name sway you, pick one and enjoy the addiction. If yer looking for a used one you could try your local shop, or Fleabay. They have alot of Mathews there for sale( that was for gogo)[:D][:D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I am curious how the AR shot? [?]
    And I agree with taco I would get whatever feels good to you.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:competition Hoyt and even though it is five years old or so, still shoots wonderfully and shoots in the 200 fps range,
    Yup sounds like a hoyt[:p]