In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking for a new

gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
Bow... Yall know about me being bowless thanks to a local crack addict... well I am looking at new bows. I have recently found out that I shoot MUCH better left handed so I am getting a LH bow this time. I dont know why I didnt think about that since I have always shot my shotgun left handed... blond I guess... Well I have chosen a brand, High Country. I dont think there is anyone in here that shoots one but I shot a HCA SSR this weekend and loved it. Very light bow ( I am a girl ya know [:D]) and really very quiet. I have been looking at them for a few weeks and they have a wholesale to the public of the bows that have slight camo blemishes. Nothing wrong with the bow just the camo and they carry a lifetime warranty. So I am looking at one of the carbon bows and the SSR is a friggin 400 fps!

I am going to order one the end of this week and this is what I need...if any of yall have any suggestions on any of the bows please let me know.
I am sticking to the HCA carbon bows but if you know anything chime in. If you have time check them out www.highcountryarchery.com Let me know which one you all would suggest and why you would pick it. Remember 5'8 draw of 26.5 and prefer a 55 lb bow. I am a bit weaker on my left side so I will have to work back up to the 55 lb but they have a good range on thier bows.

its all about pucks and bucks
smilie_schuetze.gif

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I like the sidewinder, cause it perty. [;)]

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gagirl,
    Where did you read 400 fps? I went to that site and did not find any IBO or AMO speeds. I am not doubting you I was just curious as to the specs on all of their bows.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    gagirl,
    Where did you read 400 fps? I went to that site and did not find any IBO or AMO speeds. I am not doubting you I was just curious as to the specs on all of their bows.

Right here....http://www.bowhunting.net/NewProducts/2003/03-HCA-SSR2.html That was the '03 bow and I am looking at the '05. Seemed awful sweet to me. They have a SSR lite with Mini XD cam for $429.95 wholesale price. I have an email from the company on what the wholesale prices are if anyone wants a copy. They do not have the Per FX tho...[V]. The Sidewinder is $600 for a carbon split limb and $550 for carbon solid limb.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:I have an email from the company on what the wholesale prices are if anyone wants a copy.

I would like a copy please. Thanks! [;)]

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you have mail

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gagirl...

I shoot HCA...a Carbon 4-Runner. The 400fps is shooting the HCA Carbon Revolution shafts. They weigh 5 grains per inch with the highest grade weighing I believe 6.2 gpi. I shoot the lighter of those, too. They are fast a lightening but, I have shattered a few of them. I hear they stopped business with their first supplier of these shafts because of the quality issues. I intend to upgrade to the better quality shafts.
    My specs, I've posted them before, are 70# at 29", 28" shaft w/3" feathers, and 85g Grim Reapers, weighing 315g @ 345 fps. I personally shot another C4R with a slightly lighter arrow that graphed 380fps!!
    You have good taste in trucks and bows. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lmb... so tell me do you 100% suggest a HCA? I have spoken with the company a few times on different questions and they seem more than willing to answer my questions. They seem to be really interested in customer service which is cool.. but I also want quality.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Gagirl I have been looking around at High country on forums, comments and other internet articals. Not so sure how long they will be around. Seems they have fell way behind in the past years. now they are selling speed by shooting underweight arrows. and no-one I read about can come close to the speeds they advertise. remember this is just what I read could be wrong[:0] but I would do some more research if I were you.[;)]Just buy a mathews its like your gaurenteed to get Quality bow that will shoot great and hold it's value.[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Buckey I did not want to be the first to say it. The only thing I know about HCA is they had a lot of QC issues a while back although I have no idea how they are now. I am completly content with my Mathews.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If ya look around you will find that High country is now ony selling direct only I think they will sell out and close shop in the next couple of years. Aside from providing parts for 7 additional years by law. Just a guess[:I] This is not meant to get folks all stirred up in fact[:0] At one time they had more wins than Mathews. So they were a contender in the industry but like I said before seemed to have let things slide. Only time will tell lets put it this way if I were investing my money where would I put it based rate of return Mathews or High country . I know where my moneys going[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I have been looking at them for a month or so and saw that back in the late 90s they had some issues but cant find anything in the last few years. Think every company has had QC control issies with one thing or another I am more impressed with how they straighten things out. They have a lifetime full warranty on the bows now too.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gagirl I'm sure it's a nice bow, just trying to look out for your best intrest. go to ]www.fastestbows.com[ hich country isin't even listed.

I'm sorry [:(]but I have to say this 400 fps [B)]I just don't believe any company can put out a bow that can Safley achive that speed without risking arrow shatter or injury to the person using the equipment. you will find that they are advertising those speeds with arrow weights that are not recomended nor safe. That dosen't mean it's not a good bow provided the proper arrow is shot from it. You may sacrifice some speed but you will gain enegry and safety. if you like it "you go girl." still rather see ya get a mathews or hoyt.OHHHHHHHHHHH did I say hoyt that hurt.[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did NOT like the Hoyts that I looked at and shot. Mathews... well I know this will not make some happy but I see them as over priced and I do not pay for a name. Sure all the "big guys" shoot them... but how many of them shoot them because Mathews gives them a free bow? Its just like Mercury motors and fishing..... know what I mean? I am just not sold on Mathews. I have not found one thing that makes them so much better than the rest.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does Hoyt even make a bow that will fit you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    Does Hoyt even make a bow that will fit you?

Uh yeah several....

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:gagirl Posted - 04/19/2005 : 12:04:58 PM
    Did NOT like the Hoyts that I looked at and shot. Mathews... well I know this will not make some happy but I see them as over priced and I do not pay for a name. Sure all the "big guys" shoot them... but how many of them shoot them because Mathews gives them a free bow? Its just like Mercury motors and fishing..... know what I mean? I am just not sold on Mathews. I have not found one thing that makes them so much better than the rest.

Mathews does not cost any more than Hoyt. Archery is like anything else you get what you pay for. If you want the best you will have to pay a premium for it. If you are happy to settle with something else more power to you. As for me I know where my archery money goes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gagirl how much$$ are you talking for the High country bow.and bye all means if you feel comfortable with it buy it. I have no expierence with high country at all only what I have read. To answer the second part of your statment yea mathews are a little pricy but when its time to upgrade you dont loose as much so it all evens out in the end. Have you ever shot any of the mathews ?????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gog... I did not say that Hoyt was more expensive just that I personally did not like the ones I shot. Then again I dont like tomatos but love sushi so we are all different...[;)]

Buckey I tried the LX and the Mustang. Looked at the link you gave and that list is the MFG's stated speed. Not actual speeds and they have several bows from different companies missing too.

Cost of HCA bows varies.. but the wholesale is from 400.-600.

I am not saying that Hoyt or Mathews are bad... not at all.. just that I have not liked what I shot so far and that I could not discern why Mathews costs so much more. Maybe after a few more years I will change my thinking who knows.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They cost more just like a "mercedes cost more than a buick" higher quality materials, better engineering, new inovations, and marketing, all cost money. Like any thing else it's all passed on to the consumer. Girley, girley, girley,[:0] Gogo and I are a little biased we shoot mathews. If you really like the High country and you feel more comfortable with it. You will most likley shoot better with it. go for it then ya wont have ta listen to us mathews freaks any more.[:o)]best of luck whatever you decide were all hoping your happy with your choice and get a nice buck with it in the comming season.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    They cost more just like a "mercedes cost more than a buick" higher quality materials, better engineering, new inovations, and marketing, all cost money.

I had someone tell me a Browning bow was superior to a PSE too. He stuttered when I told him that PSE makes the Browning bows. I am not sold on the it cost more so its better theory. Is a Polo better than any other cotton pull over shirt? Its all about marketing too hun...

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: Is a Polo better than any other cotton pull over shirt?
    When it pulls more wool out of the local watering hole I would have to say yes[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok then buy the damn high country and shut up about it.[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][}:)][:0] who was the first to come up with one cam, who was the first to have ball bearing cable guides, who was the first to have a featherlite bow, who was the first to incorporate harmonic dampining. MMMMMMAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSS.[^]
    Na na na na na.[:0] Gagirl just razzing ya [:I]like I said before you have to shoot it it dosent matter what we think[;)] just giving ya hard time . You dident't ol' buckey was gonna let ya off easy because your of the female persuasion now did ya. Not[B)] Hun[:D][:D]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Get a $250 Nova and go kill something with it.

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gagirl,

I'd buy another HCA bow. I've had one dealing with the warranty folks and it was an A+. The arrows I've shattered, they've replaced. I love the carbon bows for their reduced weight, super quiet performance, and no vibration or hand shock. I will say I've heard a few rumblings about them selling to the public and putting the "shaft" to their dealers. My own dealer was PO'd at them but, don't know what came of his issues.
    Yes, buy the HCA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Arent't you guy's a little leary shooting when an arrow can shatter that would scare the snot[:0] out of this yankee especially after looking at the pictures of that arrow in the hand.[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Buckey,

Maybe shatter wasn't the best description to use. The back of the arrow would have 2 or 3 fractures in it and the nock would always pop off. HCA told me to put a spot of glue on the nock to hold it in place. They said the arrows were cracking because the nock was slamming into the back of the shaft on impact. The arrows have been fine after spot gluing the nocks but, I still plan to buy the next best grade of arrow they have.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yea not tring to be critical would hate to one of our forum members get hurt like in that pix. or any one for that matter. You shoot a high country don't you.[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I like my mathews but I haven't shot many different brands, my old one was an impact xi so in comparing to that it is awsome. Now saying that I also got mine used at a price that I am told I could sell it for the same price I paid.
    Ok I really just wanted to type something. I have no net at home right now cause I have satllite internet and in the reroofing process I took the sat. off the roof. soo I am going through GB withdrawl. Haven't been on all weekend. [xx(] Ok sorry to hijack your thread
    hope you get your new bow soon and get to kill something with it.