In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Man I love this sport/addiction

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
Note: remember, this is my first bow season, I've never hunted the pre-rut or rut before.

The night before last, as you'll recall, I tried to get a position on a nice 8 pointer and a big doe before spooking them.

I was in my stand last night. I spotted that same doe coming my direction from the thicket. I grabbed my bow and started slowly working an arrow out of my quiver. She went into alert and stared out towards the bean field to my left. I hit the 'lil can and got her attention, which she quickly turned back to the field. Something was out there, but my view was blocked by a couple bushy trees. She turned tail and took off.

Then the same 8 pointer jumped the fence and went directly to where she was standing. Last year there was a little forky that had a trail right by my stand. This must be the same deer, as that trail is still there and he was walking it. He scraped the ground a couple times, stuck his nose in there, then lost interest. I hit the can again. He started working his was directly towards my tree. Walked right underneath my stand and started sniffing and licking my climbing sticks. Smacked them a couple times with his antlers, licked some more. Then followed the steps up and looked right at me. I had an arrow nocked already and was holding dead still. We stared at each other for maybe 2 minutes. He was sniffing, trying to wind me, which he didn't. Stomped on the ground a couple times, etc. I guess he lost interest and went back to licking the steps again. He'd glance up at me a couple times every minute or so. He started to walk around and feed a little bit. When he turned around, I drew back. He finally gave me a full broadside look at about 30yds. I was shaking pretty good. I took two big deep breaths, talking to myself. I finally calmed down and I put my first pin on him, perfect for 30yds, waited til he put his head down again. I let it fly. It was a dead on double lung shot just behind his right shoulder. Except, he ducked right underneath it. I had aimed just a little low, apparently not low enough. He took off about 20yds and turned back to look at me. I had another arrow nocked and was holding dead still. He started walking back towards me again. Sniffing, stomping the whole way. He got within 20yds of me, but it was around to my back side. I still had a shot on him. I drew back, and was laying the pin on him as he decided he'd better take off. I needed 5 more seconds to smack him. I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice.

He took off and I waited till dark before I got down, now to find my arrow. I must have just skinned him, my arrow had hair on it. No blood, just hair.

What a rush!
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Once again, Welcome to the addiction! I still get the shakes, if it stops I'll quit hunting. Did you have to sit down and try to calm yourself when it was all said and done? [:D]
    Thanks for sharing your hunt. I love reading that stuff.

I went out yesterday evening and to my surprise only saw an owl. still a nice sit though.
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any day with a shot is a good one, CONGRAT'S! And keep enjoying it, It's a BLAST! I think I still feel the same as I did the first deer I took 20 some years ago!![8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ENOS29
    Any day with a shot is a good one, CONGRAT'S! And keep enjoying it, It's a BLAST! I think I still feel the same as I did the first deer I took 20 some years ago!![8D]

omg.gif 20 some years ago! Man your gettin' old! [:D]
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lol, it makes me sick to my stomache when I miss at like 15-20 yards. That deer I mniss this season didn't even know I existed lol, its not fair...guess that why they call it deer HUNTING and not deer KILLING [:(!]
    edited November -1
    Thank's Bang.[xx(]
    edited November -1
    Thank's Bang.[xx(]

No problem, thats what I'm here for. Does that mean the invite for beers this evening is off? [:D]
    edited November -1
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Thank's Bang.[xx(]

No problem, thats what I'm here for. Does that mean the invite for beers this evening is off? [:D]

Where?
    edited November -1
    MOs HOUSE!!!!!!!!!! 'er sorry ENOSs house