In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crossbow questions

tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
Hey guy's I recently picked up a Barnett Crossbow, I have a couple of questions. Can you guys recommend any good Crossbow specific forums I should register on? Also I would like to pickup some bolts preferably in bulk as they seem to be quite a bit cheaper, are there any good places you would recommend looking for supplies and such?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    OK Cats...I am NOT a big time hunter or archer or whatever but I have some questions re crossbows.

I have a Barnett something or other that is pretty powerful...#300 I think. I mess with it in the yard every once in a while and now may have an opportunity to go hunt whitetails with it. It will send a bolt through two hay bales easily, but the dadgum "fletches" get ripped off.

Here are my questions

I can hit a clay pigeon at 125' with consistancy (%80). IS THIS ACCURATE ENOUGH AND ENOUGH DISTANCE?

The bolts I have came with the crossbow and are just pointed, but they screw on and off. I guess I need broadheads. WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO BUY THEM CHEAPLY? ARE THE THREADS FOR THE BOLTS I HAVE NOW UNIVERSAL?

IS THERE A GREAT SOURCE FOR BOLTS...IS GB A GOOD SOURCE....?

Thank you for your help.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I will answer your questions in the order that they were asked.

1. That is plenty of distance and plenty accurate enough. However, I would have to ask, in the 20% that you miss the clay, how far are you missing? If you can hit a paper plate 100% of the time at that distance, then you are good. 125' (40 yards) is about as far as I would recommend that you shoot until you have more experience in the woods. It is very hard to judge distances when you have lots of brush and tree limbs all over the place.

2. You can get good broadheads cheap from WalMart or any of the mail order places (BassPro, Cabelas, etc.). The threads on your inserts are universal and any broadhead you buy should screw right in. I like to put a little teflon tape on the threads to keep them from coming loose too.

3. A good source for bolts are the aforementioned mail order places such as Cabelas or BassPro. I will also throw in Gander Mountain, Sportsman's Warehouse. Some WalMarts that I have been in have had crossbow bolts too.

Good luck, and good hunting.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    What he said. 'cept I wouldn't shoot beyond 40 in the woods with a crossbow or any bow no matter what your experience in the woods is, just my opinion. I've done it once. Won't do it again. To many variables beyond that distance. Doesn't matter how good you are beyond 40 anything "could" happen. ie..an unseen branch, deer move, wind, shakes, spider crawl up your neck, bird pooh in your eye.....[:D] Have fun, be safe.

Edit, to add to the "don't shoot beyond.." I believe I read somewhere that crossbows loose energy faster than a regular compound, just another reason not to shoot beyond what you are shooting now(125' is roughly 40 yrds, well more like 41 but...).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    I will answer your questions in the order that they were asked.

1. That is plenty of distance and plenty accurate enough. However, I would have to ask, in the 20% that you miss the clay, how far are you missing? If you can hit a paper plate 100% of the time at that distance, then you are good. 125' (40 yards) is about as far as I would recommend that you shoot until you have more experience in the woods. It is very hard to judge distances when you have lots of brush and tree limbs all over the place.

2. You can get good broadheads cheap from WalMart or any of the mail order places (BassPro, Cabelas, etc.). The threads on your inserts are universal and any broadhead you buy should screw right in. I like to put a little teflon tape on the threads to keep them from coming loose too.

3. A good source for bolts are the aforementioned mail order places such as Cabelas or BassPro. I will also throw in Gander Mountain, Sportsman's Warehouse. Some WalMarts that I have been in have had crossbow bolts too.

Good luck, and good hunting.

thank you for the advice...I can hit a paperplate 100% of the time at 40yds.

I am gonna see what wal mart has tonight...thank you for the advice
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walmart now sells a lot of archery products including crossbow stuff. I would go there, find a fixed broadhead pack, range the sucker in at 20 yards, and go huntin[:p]. As for the fletchings I had that problem too, buy a better target like "the block" I use that for my crossbow so I don't ruin the bolts. And check your state, I hear most don't allow more than a 250# crossbow? I know here in ohio its 200, and I think in PA and WV you still aren't allowed to use one.[:(!]

-happy huntin'[^]
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take Bangs advice!!! It is sound.
  • Options
    hopperhopper Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i hunt with a crossbow an excalibur... arrows for most x bows are easton 2117 the best broad heads i tried the lot is the wasp they are cheapest and best ,,good hunting and remember pick your spot
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you buy some bolts. Get enough to keep a few for practice and a few for hunting. Make sure they are all the same length, type and weight. Also use the same weight broadheads as you do field points...EXAMPLE; 125 grain points=125 grain broadheads. or buy enough broadheads to practice with. They do not always fly the same as field points!?!...Good Luck,