In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

5 days in the woods

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
I'll keep it short. Over all, The best trip I have ever had as far as seeing quality mature bucks. I didn't get anything with the bow. I had a nice buck around 40yrd maybe a bit more on my first hunt but to much stuff between us and he didn't like what I had to say with the grunt. My buddy (Tater, for those that know him) arrowed what would probably have been the best buck of his life. But we never found it. Spent several hours lookin that night and more the next morning. Went from good blood to spotty and then lost blood when he went out of the woods into the grass. He did get a decent guy with a gun. Enos tagged out with gun. I lost a decent buck with a gun. No excuses, I was confident with the shot, he high jumped, good blood, puddles in places, 2 places up under a mess of a tree where it appeared he had been down. Then nothing that was it, no more blood and no deer. I may change my mind by next season but I think I may be done with the gun.

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Quick Question,,, Had you guy's been Drinking[:D][:D]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Before or after?
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bang think you gut shot? even that though i can't believe you didn't find him, sorry man!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    bang think you gut shot? even that though i can't believe you didn't find him, sorry man!

Definately not gut shot. Had plenty of time to aim and squeeze. He never hunched up like a gut shot. And we found what APPEARED to be lung chunks, another reason I am so baffled and bummed, I'm sure he's down somewhere. first one I've lost with a gun and probably the last.[V]
  • rja72rja72 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two guys in my group lost deer. Had good blood and then nothing. just vanished. Not sure how that happens.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Don't let it get you quitting down. It sucks to lose one. As I posted in another thread, I screwed up a shot on my doe. Luckily we did find her though. I have some of her fresh burger cooking now. BTW, if any of you want to know the DEEEPEST and COLDEST part of the river I hunt by, I can show you. Keep your head up.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

Definately not gut shot. Had plenty of time to aim and squeeze. He never hunched up like a gut shot. And we found what APPEARED to be lung chunks, another reason I am so baffled and bummed, I'm sure he's down somewhere. first one I've lost with a gun and probably the last.[V]
    did you get on the deer right away?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

did you get on the deer right away?

No. Shot at 7am didn't get down to start lookin til 9.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bubbles in the blood?
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rja72
    Two guys in my group lost deer. Had good blood and then nothing. just vanished. Not sure how that happens.

It happens because the deer is out of blood, but doesn't know it is dead yet. I have seen them go for another 200 yards with no blood coming out after a perfect heart/lung shot. The first 100 yards look like someone was pouring blood out of a bucket then nothing.

The thing to do at that point is mark the last few drops of blood very clearly so that you can get the general direction that the deer was heading. Then follow that line for about 200-300 yards. If you don't find anything, then go back to the last blood and start doing consecutive circles around that last blood, very very slowly, looking for any sign of passage. It is amazing to me how many people discount deer tracks after they make a shot. Move your circles out about 10 yards each time until you get to about 200 yards. If you haven't found the deer by then, then you are probably S.O.L. However, I have only failed to find one deer when we did it this way.
    The most common mistake that is made is go too quickly and then you end up walking over blood spots that are too small to see unless you are up close. Move slowly, on your hands and knees if possible. Tracking this way will take a long time, but it is better to take that time and find your deer than to hurry or give up and feed the coyotes.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    quote:Originally posted by rja72

It happens because the deer is out of blood, but doesn't know it is dead yet. I have seen them go for another 200 yards with no blood coming out after a perfect heart/lung shot. The first 100 yards look like someone was pouring blood out of a bucket then nothing.

The thing to do at that point is mark the last few drops of blood very clearly so that you can get the general direction that the deer was heading. Then follow that line for about 200-300 yards. If you don't find anything, then go back to the last blood and start doing consecutive circles around that last blood, very very slowly, looking for any sign of passage. It is amazing to me how many people discount deer tracks after they make a shot. Move your circles out about 10 yards each time until you get to about 200 yards. If you haven't found the deer by then, then you are probably S.O.L. However, I have only failed to find one deer when we did it this way.
    The most common mistake that is made is go too quickly and then you end up walking over blood spots that are too small to see unless you are up close. Move slowly, on your hands and knees if possible. Tracking this way will take a long time, but it is better to take that time and find your deer than to hurry or give up and feed the coyotes.

Pretty much what we did. There were 3 of us lookin'. Myself and Enos were literally on our hands and knees lookin for blood. We all spread out and walked all over the woods. Finding and following tracks in this part of the woods is next to impossible. He ended up on the neighbors property who doesn't allow hunting but will let us go out there to track. I wish he'd change his mind [:D] there are tracks, trails, rubs, scrapes everywhere...