In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recurve or Compound Crossbow

Weeks ManWeeks Man Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
Hello all.

I am considering purchasing a crossbow. I am an avid deer hunter and tried bow hunting some years back, but just never got to serious about it. I guess I found it to be too hot, too buggy and too many snakes to deal with.

Now that I am older and have a family with small children. I am finding it harder and harder to get away to deer hunt with rifle, not to mention it's harder and harder to find places to hunt. Most folks seem open to allowing you to bow hunt, but not rifle hunt.

Crossbows were just legalized in Georgia a couple of years ago for archery season and throughout gun season. In fact, many counties are archery only due to the rapid growth down here. So, this has made me think that perhaps I should consider getting back into bow hunting, specifically with a crossbow. In so doing, I feel I could hunt more and closer to home, and on smaller pieces of land.

Can anyone make any recommendations on a good crossbow? Recurve or compound? I have heard recurve is better (less moving parts) and more accurate. Is this true? What brand of crossbow should I consider? I have been looking at the Excaliburs.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am using a Horton and love it.
  • Options
    Weeks ManWeeks Man Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JimmyJack,

Horton Recurve? Which model? If recurve, why do you think that is better? Just looking for some advice from some experienced shooters.

Thanks
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    For around $2000 you can get a Bowtech Stryker. Supposed to be the cats meow but I've never shot one.

Ten point makes a good one, Hortons up there on the list. I think Barrnett is another top name. Kind of like Compound bows, you just need to go shoot some and see what you like. I have a friend that uses one and is lookin for a new one but hasn't found one that he likes yet. some of the issues he has pointed out is the length of some he feels is to long.