In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

checkin in

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sorry guys got finals next week, then im done with school. Hope all is well, and good news. S.gun and crosshair and I got permission to hunt around 70 acres of farmland for next deer season. They plant winteroats then take it off in april and plant oats in the summer....anyone thinkin' some monsters might be in there? Oh ya no one hunted it this year, and we will be mostly alone next year [}:)] I make you a promise, i'm baggin me a 120 up next season baby. two seasons ago it was a cornfield...big bucks baby!!!

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    The oats could certainly help but it will depend on what else you have in the surrounding area.

Example: down south there are corn fields, where we hunt the one guy plants corn in the plot. The deer don't use it because corn is readily available in surrounding areas. I'm hoping this year to get him talked into something different that is not anywhere within a few mile radius. Turnip maybe.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    + 1 on the turnips. The farmer that I hunt on tried to sell a patch of his corn by the ear for people feeding squirels or whatever. There is about 1 1/2 acre of standing corn still. The deer are not hitting it like I thought they would. A good clover or winter wheat field would be more productive.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Winter wheat is a good choice also. Last season just on the other side of the pasture to the north was a patch of winter wheat. It was VERY frustrating watching all the deer out there and not in the woods. You could easily at times count 30+ deer out in it. Not only did they feed they would also bed in it.
    I think it not being there this season is part of the reason I have seen so many good bucks in the woods.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    haha you guys got me excited for next season bow hunting...I'm still going to try and bag a doe this january out there but I am so ready for next sept-october.