In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

new visitor on the trail cam

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
We have seen him around quite a few times, but this is the first picture we have.
LoneWolf.jpg

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Looks just like my nieghbors Alaskan Malamute. I'll stand back a ways, you go pet it...[:D]
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That looks like a big Coyote to me. What is he looking at ? Is it a mineral block ?
    Abort Cuomo
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Need better pics to make out the name on the collar.[:D]
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester
    That looks like a big Coyote to me. What is he looking at ? Is it a mineral block ?

Correct on the mineral block, but the animal stands about 3'tall, and I would guess 90 lbs. Not a coyote! Also we have seen 16 of them in 9 days. I'm sure some of them made several appearances, but definatly a pack in the area. I just hope they keep moving allong and don't take up residence there. I don't mind that they are there, just don't want them hammering the deer heard.
  • mot24mot24 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ya, too big to be a yote. Could be worse, I saw a mountain lion around my place last year.
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a description of coyote wolf comparisons from the Michigan DNR site. I know you were from MN vs MI but it looks wolf like...

Differences between Gray Wolf and Coyote

Michigan Gray Wolf (Canis lupus)
    Height: 30" average
    Length: 4.5 feet to 6.5 feet
    Weight: 50 to 100 pounds; average is 65 pounds

Coyote (Canis latrans)
    Height: 18" maximum
    Length: 4.3 feet maximum; 2.8 feet average
    Weight: 25 to 45 pounds

Also found on the Wisconsin DNR site that Wolf tracks are such that the rear foot usually is placed on top of the front foot track.

Ever hear them? That should be a good confirmation too!
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a wolf to me. Did a qick measurement estimating your block at 10' wide. To long for a coyote. Of course picture angles can fool you, I mean I always look bigger in my pictures. LOL Call you state wildlife agency and see what they think. Most states want to keep track of the wolf packs. Occasionaly a large coyote will show up as most of the northern coyotes have some wolf breed into them. I can't remember where I read the article, but I recently read one that gave some DNA results of some coyote populations. Most northern strains had some wolf in them and some had a little domestic dog. I don't remember the exact stats.

I wouldn't run my dogs in that area.

Scout
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Dosent look like a yote to me... heres a trail cam pictures of a yote that I got
    DSC00681.jpg
    DSC00682.jpg
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buckey thats a nice colored yote you got there. I haven't seen too many red ones before.

As for dcso's picture, I think its a wolf also.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    Looks like a wolf to me. Did a qick measurement estimating your block at 10' wide. To long for a coyote. Of course picture angles can fool you, I mean I always look bigger in my pictures. LOL Call you state wildlife agency and see what they think. Most states want to keep track of the wolf packs. Occasionaly a large coyote will show up as most of the northern coyotes have some wolf breed into them. I can't remember where I read the article, but I recently read one that gave some DNA results of some coyote populations. Most northern strains had some wolf in them and some had a little domestic dog. I don't remember the exact stats.

The DNR is aware of a few wolf packs in the area. They have not been known in the past to use this area, but now they are. We did Fwd this to them to view as well. Wisconsin does have a very healthy wolf population, as does Minnesota.

Lots of people do mistake one animal for the other, but I'm positive this is a wolf. Oh and yes we have heard them in the early am hours. Spooky is all I can say.
    I wouldn't run my dogs in that area.

Scout
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I'll agree with wolf thats no yote, He looks kinda friendly try to pet him then we will know for sure[}:)][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    I'll agree with wolf thats no yote, He looks kinda friendly try to pet him then we will know for sure[}:)][:D][:D]

No... I'll leave that to you Mathews guys...[:D]