In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking for a new bow

Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
Ok guys, I finally got the ok from the wife to buy a new bow. I haven't looked at new bows in years, so I don't even know where to start. I have had my current bow for 16 years, so the budget is pretty unlimited right now.

What I want to know is what are the important specs of a bow and how do they affect how it shoots. For example;
How does axle-to-axle length affect how a bow shoots besides how tight a spot you can shoot it in?
How does brace height affect how the bow shoots?

I know those aren't the only specs to look at, so what else should I consider and how do they affect the performance of the bow?

All info is appreciated.

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,250 ******
    edited November -1
    I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. What I do know is that if you don't shoot alot, brace height is important. The bigger the better. A bigger brace height is more forgiving. Other than that, go to a couple of archery shops, try all of the different brands and buy the one that you feel best with. If you are confident with it, you will hit where you want every time.
    Take into consideration the feel, weight, speed, and quietness.
    Good luck and have fun shopping.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice above. Just a few things to add.

ATA length- more can be easier to shoot to a point... I would stay over 30" min. I have been shooting some new bows that are 36"+ and I like them better. Usually loose some speed with the longer bows... My recommendation: go about 33-36"

Balance is also an important thing. If a bow feels good in the hand, it will be easier to shoot well. This is the main reason I got a Hoyt. It balanced for me. My recommendation: find what balances for you.

Grip- A big grip may feel nice, but lends itself to bad torque problems. Randy Ulmer just wrote a good article on this in the last Bowhunter Magazine. I have since took the grip off my bow and shoot off the riser. What an improvement. My recommendation: find what works for you.

Brace height- As Chief said the bigger BH bows are easier to shoot. Bows like the Hoyt Katera are short on BH. If your form is good you can shoot them well, but they get twitchy when your form is not so good. Short BH bows do build a lot of speed, so if that is your thing then that may be what you want. My recommendation: go at least 7".

Noise, speed, and price all come into concern at some point. You have to decide what fits your needs. In my opinion all the bows on the market have plenty of speed, and will out shoot your current bow. You will just have to put some time in at some shops and shoot every bow you can get your hands on. Take your time, and enjoy. My recommendation:You will find the right bow for you.
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice guys. That is the type of info I am looking for. I have been looking at the different manufacturers web sites (Mathews, Hoyt, etc), but I don't even know how to start to choose from the different models to even narrow it down. This type of info at least gives me a starting place.

Thanks.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I can't add anything that hasn't been said. I can offer my opinion. My opinion- I don't like the longer A to A if your hunting. I prefer shorter, but thats just me.

Shoot as many as you can and get what you feel comfortable with. With todays technology there really isn't a "bad" bow out there.

Keep us posted and post some pics if you can when you make your choice.
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    My opinion- I don't like the longer A to A if your hunting. I prefer shorter, but thats just me.

What do you like better about the shorter bows for hunting? I will be stricktly hunting with my bow.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    They are a lot easier to manuver in a tree stand. also just plain easier to tote around. there are lots of nice bows out thre just start shooting them all and go with the one that feels the best to you providing it performs up to what your looking for..check this one out I was at cabelas looking at it last Sunday diddent draw it bit it was light as a feather and the grip was awsome plus the bows fit and finish was top shelfhttp://www.diamondarchery.com/marquis.php