In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

camo wool pants

dearchaserdearchaser Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
Looking for some suggestions on replacing my "ventilated" and majorly worn-out camo wool hunting pants. Bought my last pair from Gander (mid-weight) and really liked them but, they only lasted a few years and the camo pattern faded quickly. I don't want the very thick, heavy weight pants (which I already have) used for ice fishing/sturgeon spearing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bow season in my region of WI ended on Sunday...bummer. Time to retool and dream of next year.

Comments

• Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just buy cheap BDU pants at the army/navy store and wear long underwear under them. The big leg pockets on them are nice to have for "stuff" too...Those wool pants are just too expensive for me...Atleast the ones I looked at.[?]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    http://asatcamo.com/

Get the 3-D leafy cover system then you can wear what weather predicts under it. Warm weather, shorts t shirt, cold weather I wear carharts. I've had deer just feet away look right threw me. No competition other than predator camo, IMO.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Columbia makes some good camo wool if you want to stick to that. My preference is to get a good set of wool pants in black, gray, or green and then put a light camo over that. More layers is better. Also the cover layer cuts the wind that can blow through the wool.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I was also hoping to hear from those folks wearing the $500 Beagle and King of the Mtn pants to find out if they thought they were worth the price. Anybody out there???
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dearchaser
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I was also hoping to hear from those folks wearing the $500 Beagle and King of the Mtn pants to find out if they thought they were worth the price. Anybody out there???

Not me. I've seen the wool pants in Sportsmans Guide but have never bought any. What I try to wear is waterproof and windproof clothing. I can stay warm with my layering, but since I had my hips replaced the wind kicks my butt.
    I used to do re-enacactments of the F & I war and wore only wool. Wool breeches, leggings, waistcoat, and coat. It did keep me warm but nothing to stop that wind.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply Chief. I hear you about the wind; I layer with long johns, then ScentLock under my wool which takes care of that. I have several brushed cotton pants which I wear early season, but during cold WI winters I prefer the quiet warmth of wool.